Playful Penguin Family
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam eggs: two 3-5/16”x2-15/16”, one 4-7/8”x3-1/2”
- Fleece: 7”x22” black, 5”x10” white; scrap red
- Gold felt, 9”x12”
- Recycled sweater (or 8”x18” fabric rectangle)
- Black seed beads, six
- Ribbon, 1/2 yd.
- Red button
- White pom-poms, three
- Fiberfill stuffing, small amount
- Snowflake, 2”
- Fabric glue
- Ruler or measuring tape
- Plastic knife
- 1. For bodies, cut small piece from large egg (mom) and small egg (baby). Cut small egg in half lengthwise (baby and kid).
- 2. Print and cut out patterns. Cut body fronts from white fleece, feet and beaks from gold felt, two hats from red fleece, wings and mom body piece from black fleece. Curve body pieces. See photo. (see photos)
- 3. Measure and cut 2”x11” (mom’s scarf) and 6”x8” rectangle (mom’s hat) from recycled sweater.
- 4. Glue body pieces and wings on eggs. Tie scarf around top of mom. Measure and cut 6” ribbon lengths. Tie ribbon around kid and baby’s bodies (for scarves).
- 5. Use scissors to poke holes in head (for eyes). Glue beads in holes.
- 6. Glue beak and feet pieces together. Glue beaks on heads and feet on bottom of bodies. Let dry.
- 7. For mom’s hat, glue long edges of rectangle together. Turn hat right side out. Gently stuff hat with fiberfill stuffing. Glue hat on mom’s head and pom-pom on top of hat. Let dry.
- 8. Glue baby and kid hats on top of heads. Glue pom-pom on end of hats. Glue snowflake and red button on side of kid’s hat.
by Debra Quartermain for The Dow Chemical Co.