Bridesmaid Wristlet Clutch & Matching Hairpiece
sizes: clutch, 5”x11”; hairpiece, 6”x8”
- Green satin: 8”x13”, two, 2”x12”
- Lilac satin: 1/4 yd.; 8”x13”, two; 7”x13”; 3”x4”
- Lilac tulle: 2”x44”, two; 4”x44”
- Zipper, 14” length
- National Nonwovens Hydrangea WoolFelt, scrap
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Clay: Purple, White, Wasabi
- Metal hair clip
scissors, craft knife, sewing needle, iron and pressing surface
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Martha Stewart Crafts Crafter’s Day Flower Garden Collection Mold
- DecoArt Duraclear Satin Varnish
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, and oven
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- 1. For bow center, roll 1” Purple clay ball and 2” White clay ball together creating lilac clay. Press lilac clay into dahlia flower mold. Remove clay from mold and trim edges. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool. Apply varnish. Let dry. Set aside.
- 2. Cut 2”x44” piece of lilac tulle; fold in half. Baste stitch along folded edge and pull bottom string to ruffle. Arrange in circle on 1-1/2”-diameter circle of Hydrangea felt. Hot glue into place. Hot glue clay flower on center. Set aside.
- 3. To make wrist strap, fold 2”x12” green satin rectangle lengthwise with right sides together. Sew along long edge, using 1/4” seam allowance. Turn right side out and press. Set aside.
- 4. To make bow, sew long sides of 7”x13” lilac satin rectangle together with right sides facing using 1/2” seam allowance. Turn right side out. Press so seam is on center back.
- 5. To make bow band, sew long selvages of 3”x4” lilac satin rectangle together with right sides facing. Turn right side out and press so seam is on center back. Fold under 1/2” on opening. Press. Slide other end of bow band inside opening and stitch, making band into continuous loop. Slide bow through bow band.
- 6. Position bow on right side on one 8”x13” green satin rectangle. Measure down 2” from top of green satin rectangle; secure top corner of bow on either side at mark. Baste stitch bow into place along rectangle’s side selvages.
- 7. Position wrist strap above bow band on left side so selvages match up. Baste selvages.
- 8. Position front of clutch (with lilac bow band/bow) on work surface and position zipper face down on right side on upper edge of clutch front. Position top edge of one 2”x12” green satin lining rectangle, with right side down, on top of zipper edge. Pin in place. Sew along edge. Repeat on other side of zipper with remaining 8”x13” green satin (back of clutch) and remaining 2”x12” green satin (interior lining of clutch).
- 9. Match up selvages on clutch rectangles; pin in place. Sew exterior rectangle around all edges, stitching over zipper ends, leaving 3” opening on bottom edge of lining for turning. Clip corners; turn right side out.
- 10. Hand sew opening closed. Press well. Position bow band where desired; hot glue or sew bow embellishment onto bow band.
- 1. To make flowers, cut one yard of lilac satin into 2”x44” strips. Fold strip in half; roll end up slightly. With needle and matching thread, stitch through layers of fabric at bottom. Continue to roll fabric around flower center twisting every few inches and hand sewing through each layer of fabric. As flower gets bigger, stitch through center of each layer to secure. Make one 3” and one 2” flower from lilac satin. Make additional 1” flower from Hydrangea felt and 1” flower from 2”x44” lilac tulle.
- 2. Cut 4”-long oval from Hydrangea felt. Fold 4”x44” tulle in half and press. Baste stitch along folded edge and pull bottom thread gently to gather. Arrange ruffle around outer edge of felt oval; machine sew or adhere using hot glue on oval.
- 3. Arrange flowers on folded edge of ruffle; hand sew or adhere using hot glue. Hot glue metal clip onto back of felt oval.
- 4. On clean work surface, roll tiny Wasabi pea-sized balls. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake in oven. Let cool. Hot glue balls around flowers in clusters of one and three. Let dry.
by April Moffatt