Spring Tulip Centerpiece
Blooming tulips are a sure sign of spring! Bring the season indoors with this easy-to-make floral centerpiece.
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam: wreath, 12” diameter; disc, 8” diameter
- Silk Flowers: yellow tulips, four stems; purple grape hyacinth, five stems; lavender lilac, four stems; white lily of the valley, five clusters; pussy willow, nine stems; pink wax flower, one stem
- Artificial greenery: variegated ivy, four stems; medium leaves, 12
- Green sheet moss
- Sponge mushrooms, two
- Bulb with foliage, 11” tall
- Small bird’s nest
- Small bird eggs, 1/2” long, two
- Yellow mushroom birds, 2-1/2” long, two
- Yellow plaid ribbon, 1-1/4”-wide, 3 yds.
- Green felt, 9”x12”
scissors, pencil, ruler, wire cutters
- Floral wire
- Floral U-pins
- Wooden floral picks, 3” long, six
- Craft glue
- 1. Size is 18” tall.
- 1. Apply glue to all stems before inserting into arrangement. Use photo as guide throughout.
- 1. For base, trace disc onto felt; cut out. Remove plastic veins from leaves. Adhere leaves to disc around sides, overlapping disc at top and bottom edges. Adhere felt circle to bottom of disc over leaves.
- 2. Cover wreath with moss, wrapping with wire to secure. Attach wreath to base with U-pins and picks; adhere to secure.
- 3. Insert six pussy willow stems diagonally into disc at front of wreath base. Insert remaining pussy willow stems in same way behind wreath, extending 20” above base.
- 4. Insert tulips in front and back of wreath. Adhere the following: mushrooms (slightly overlapped) to lower right side of wreath; bulb to bottom mushroom; purple hyacinth stems to bulb; nest to top mushroom; one bird in front of nest; moss and eggs inside nest.
- 5. Cut a 6” and 24” length from ribbon. Adhere 6” length to top right side of wreath as shown. Make bow from 24” length; adhere to lower back side of wreath. Tie remaining ribbon into multi-loop bow and adhere to lower left front of wreath. Trim ribbon ends in “V” shape. Adhere remaining bird to top of wreath near ribbon.
- 6. Fill in space around bows with ivy, lily of the valley, and wax flower stems. Insert and adhere lilac stems into lower right side of wreath in front and back. Adhere moss to arrangement as needed to conceal glue.
- 1. After covering wreath with moss, spray moss with watered down green acrylic paint to brighten color.
by Edwin R. Smith