Nang Talung Shadow Puppets
- Recycled black plastic container (designer used tray from microwaveable meal)
- Wooden skewers (for each puppet)
- Metal brad
- DecoArt Paint Markers, in colors of choice
- Markers (or acrylic paint): silver, gold
- Hole punch
- Craft knife
- Black marker
- Newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Wash and dry recycled black containers. Use scissors to cut sides from black containers.
- 2. Determine design. Draw monster head, body, arms, and fire or butterfly on flat portions of black containers. See photo. Use scissors to cut out designs.
- 3. Use hole punch to punch hole on end of dragon arm (or on area of other movable part) and on center of dragon body.
- 4. On covered work surface, paint designs on dragon, fire, and butterfly using paint markers in colors of choice. Let dry.
- 5. Use craft knife to cut two slits, 1/2”-long and 1” apart, on bottom of dragon, fire, and butterfly. Insert wooden skewer through slits.
- 6. To attach dragon’s arm, insert metal brad through hole on dragon’s arm and hole on body. Bend ends on back.
by Steven James