Black Cat Pinata
- Construction paper: purple, orange
- Craft foam: black, yellow, green, pink
- Craft stick
- Black acrylic paint
- Orange ribbon, 24” length
- Silver pen or marker
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- Paintbrush or sponge scrap
- Black marker
- Plastic bowl
- Newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. On covered work surface, mix water and glue to heavy consistency in plastic bowl. Measure and cut 1”x4” newspaper strips. Inflate medium-size balloon and tie knot. Dip paper strips in glue mixture and smooth onto balloon, covering all areas. Leave small area uncovered on bottom of balloon. Let dry. Add second layer of newspaper strips; let dry completely.
- 2. Pop balloon. Fill balloon with wrapped candy and small toys. Seal opening with newspaper and glue mixture. Let dry.
- 3. Paint balloon black. Let dry.
- 4. Print and cut out patterns.
- 5. Glue arms, legs, and tail on piñata. Glue craft stick on back of head; insert stick in top of piñata. Spot glue to secure.
- 6. For whiskers, measure and cut 6” purple paper strips. Curl strips around pencil. Glue eyes, ears, nose, and mouth on piñata. Glue whiskers around nose. Glue bow below head.
- 7. To hang, measure and cut 24” ribbon length. Glue ribbon ends on back of craft stick.
- 8. Use silver pen or marker to add details on tail, stomach, and head and draw paw pads. Use black marker to draw pupils on eyes.
by Rebecca Spohn