Plastic Bottle Luminaries
size: 12” tall
- Recycled 2L plastic bottles, three
- Recycled bottle caps, two (Frank)
- Tissue paper: white, green, purple
- Craft foam: white, black glitter
- Wooden bucket handles, three
- Large wiggle eyes, six
- Glitter chenille stems, three
- Eyelash yarn: green, purple
scissors, ruler, black marker, plastic bowl, foam brush, paintbrushes, compass or circle templates, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- DecoArt Foam Paint: White, Black
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Grape Juice, Lamp Black, Snow White, Jack O’ Lantern Orange, Citron Green
- Hole punch
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- 1. Use scissors to cut top section from 2L bottle. Recycle top section.
- 2. On covered work surface, tear tissue paper into small pieces: white for Ghost, green for Frank, and purple for Monster. In plastic bowl, mix tacky glue with water to 1:1 ratio. Use foam brush to apply mixture on bottle. Press tissue paper on bottle covering all areas. Let dry.
- 3. Paint wooden handle Jack O’ Lantern Orange (Ghost), Citron Green (Frank), or Grape Juice (Monster). Let dry. Use end of paintbrush to highlight dot handles Snow White or Lamp Black. Let dry.
- 4. For eyes, cut two 2” black glitter craft foam circles. Adhere wiggle eyes on black circles. Adhere circles on luminaries.
- 5. For Ghost’s mouth, cut one 2” black glitter craft foam circle. Cut out 1” circle in center of black circle. For Frank’s mouth, cut one 1” black glitter craft foam circle. For Monster, cut two 1/2”x1” white craft foam rectangles (teeth) and one 3”x3/8” black glitter foam rectangle (mouth). Adhere mouths and teeth on luminaries.
- 6. Print out pattern. Cut pattern from black glitter foam.
- 7. Adhere Frank’s hair around top of luminary and bottle caps (neck bolts) onto sides of luminary. Adhere green eyelash yarn (Ghost) and purple eyelash yarn (Monster) around top of luminaries. Let dry.
- 8. Use White foam paint to outline black felt pieces and Black foam paint to outline white foam pieces. Let dry. Using black marker, draw nose below eyes on each luminary.
- 9. Use hole punch to punch hole on each side on top edge of luminary. Insert chenille stem end through hole on luminary; twist end on inside. Insert wooden handle on chenille stem. Insert other end of chenille stem through hole on remaining side of luminary; twist end on inside.
- 10. Insert battery-operated tea light in luminary.
- 1. If using outdoors, place stones or sand in bottom of luminary for added weight.
by Melony Bradley