From The Heart Hanging
A thoughtful or kind wish to another goes a long way – and this piece certainly extends wonderful sentiments to a friend.
- Fabrics: linen, 1/4 yd.; cotton homespun, 20 different scraps; green silk, scrap
- The Warm Co. Warm & Natural Firm Needled Cotton Batting, 9”x11” rectangles, two
- Embroidery floss: black, off-white, yellow
- Frame, 9-1/2”x11-1/2”
- Off-white button, 9/16”
- Embroidery needle
- Cardboard rectangle, 9”x11”
- Adhesives: Therm O Web HeatnBond Ultrahold Iron-on Adhesive, Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- 1. Print and cut out patterns.
- 2. Cut a 5-1/2”x7-1/2” rectangle from linen. Cut three 1-1/2”x2-1/2” rectangles (A), six 2”x2-1/2” rectangles (B), five 2-1/2” squares (C), and four 2-1/2” squares (D) from cotton fabrics. (Note: Remaining two fabrics are for star and heart.)
- 3. Using Fig. 1 as guide, arrange rectangles and squares around linen rectangle. Sew side rectangles and squares together, and then sew to sides of linen rectangle. Repeat for top and bottom pieces. (see photos)
- 4. Cut two pieces from iron-on adhesive, slightly larger than star and heart. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse adhesive to star and heart. Fuse star and heart to border.
- 5. Transfer words to linen rectangle. Use one strand black floss to stem stitch words and to blanket stitch star and heart borders, and two strands black floss to blanket stitch border of linen rectangle.
- 6. Secure button to bottom border with black floss. Use two strands yellow floss to blanket stitch border around button.
- 7. For yo-yo, cut 2” circle from green silk. Turn edge under 1/8”; sew gathering stitch around edge. Pull up gathers tightly; knot and clip thread. Use invisible stitch to hand sew yo-yo to top border. Use two strands off-white floss to blanket stitch around yo-yo.
- 8. Layer fabric piece and cotton batting on cardboard; pull fabric edges over cardboard and glue edges at back. Place mounted design inside frame.
by Mary Ayres