Scrap Savvy Bird Ornaments
- Wool Felt scraps (National Nonwovens): Cottage Red; Moss Green; Haybale
- Tea dyed muslin scraps
- Assorted fabric scraps
- Craft mirrors, 1”
- Flower centers
- Jeweled brads
- Polyfil fiberfill stuffing (Fairfield Processing)
- Grosgrain ribbon of choice, 3/8”
- Holiday sentiment rubber stamps of choice
- Black pigment ink
- Sizzix BigShot Machine
- Sizzix Bigz Die: Bird with Wing
- Sewing machine and thread
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. Die cut two bird shapes from wool felt. Print and cut pattern. Cut two wings from tea dyed muslin. Stamp sentiment on one wing and heat set with iron. Die cut one small triangle for beak from an alternating color. Place small scrap of felt over portion of die cut. Glue to one of the wool felt bird pieces, cutting off existing beak.
- 2. Layer bird pieces together. Machine sew, 1/4” from edge, in a contrasting thread, leaving a small opening for stuffing. Repeat for wing and lightly stuff pieces. Machine sew openings closed.
- 3. Double ribbon for hanger and glue ends to front of bird. Glue wing to front of bird to hide ribbon ends. Wrap fabric or ribbon scraps into a loose bow and glue to bird below wing. (Note: Designer frayed fabric edges for a vintage look.) Glue desired embellishments to center of bow.
by Melony Bradley