Trimming the Tree Ornament
finished stitching size: 3-1/4"x3-1/4"; size: 6-1/4"x17"; stitch count: 42 w x 42 h
- Ecru 25-count Evenweave*, 8”x8”
- Backing fabric, 5”x5”
- Lining fabric, 5”x9-1/2
- #4 Very Fine Braid: Silver; Gold
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss in colors listed in key*
- Dark rose ribbon, 5/8”, 1/4 yd.
- Tapestry needle*, #24
- Iron-on interfacing, 7”x7”
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- *Products by The DMC Corporation
- 1. Use a 1/4” seam allowance throughout.
- 1. Fold cloth in half and in half again opposite way to find center. Mark center with contrasting thread. Use two strands of floss or one strand of braid to cross-stitch design centered on evenweave.
- 2. Use one strand of 310 to backstitch and make French knots.
- 3. Apply iron-on interfacing to wrong side of stitching. Trim evenly to 5”x5”.
- 4. With wrong sides together, sew ornament front to back along sides and bottom edges to form pocket. Turn right side out. Press raw top raw edge under 1/4”.
- 5. Fold lining in half, right sides together. Sew along side edges. Press raw edge under 1/4”.
- 6. Insert lining into pocket. Sew lining to pocket around top edge.
- 7. Tack ribbon hanger ends to inner side seams.
by Lois Winston for The DMC Corporation