Give Thanks Wall Hanging
size: 6-1/4"x17"; finished stitching size, 3"x4"; stitch count, 55 w x 43 h
- Linen 28-count fabric (#739)*, 6”x7”
- Coordinating fabrics, 1/4 yd., three
- 6-strand embroidery floss in colors listed on chart*
- Olive Memory Thread*
- Plastic rings, 3/4”, two
- Tapestry needle*, #24
- Iron-on interfacing, 6”x7”
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- *Products by The DMC Corporation
- 1. Use 1/4” seam allowance throughout and press all seams open while working unless otherwise noted.
- Wall Hanging
- 1. Fold cloth in half and in half again opposite way to find center. Mark center with contrasting thread. Use two strands of floss to cross-stitch design centered on linen.
- 2. Backstitch with one strand 3031.
- 3. Apply iron-on interfacing to back of linen. Trim linen to 5”x6”.
- 4. Bend Memory Thread into three small tendrils as shown in photo. Use chart and photo as guide to couch one to each pumpkin.
- 5. Cut fabric as follows: From fabric A, cut two 2-1/2” squares, four 1”x6” strips and two 1”x18” strips. From Fabric B, cut eight 2-1/2” squares. From fabric C, cut 2-1/2” squares and 7”x18” rectangle.
- 6. Sew small squares together as shown to form two patchwork blocks
- 7. Sew one 1”x6” strip to top and bottom of each block.
- 8. Sew a block to top and bottom of linen. Press seams out.
- 9. Sew a 1”x18” strip to each side. Press seams out.
- 10. With right sides together, sew 7”x18” piece to wall hanging, leaving opening at bottom center for turning right side out. Turn. Press. Hand sew opening closed.
- 11. Sew a plastic ring to each side of top back for hanging.
by Lois Winston for The DMC Corporation