Iced Sugar Cookies
sizes: snowman, 2-3/4”x4-1/4”; stocking, 3-1/2”x4-1/4”
- National Nonwovens Buttercup WoolFelt
- Wool roving: white, black, orange, blue, green, red
- Fairfield Poly-fil Premium Polyester Fiberfill, small amount
- Beadalon WildFire Frost Beading Thread
scissors, ruler, transfer paper, straight pins
- Clover Needle Felting Tool
- Needle-felting foam
- Sewing needle and thread
- 1. Print out patterns. Transfer patterns onto Buttercup felt; cut out two shapes for each.
- 2. Cut 1/2”-wide strip long enough to wrap around long edges of each ornament. (Note: This strip forms sides of ornament.) Pin strip around edges of ornament base; whipstitch to attach.
- 3. Position snowman top piece on needle-felting foam. Position white roving onto body of snowman and needle felt into place. Repeat for blue roving (hat). For eyes and buttons, take small pieces of black roving, roll into tiny balls, and needle felt into place. For mouth, take small piece of black roving, twist into string, and needle felt into place. For nose, position small piece of orange roving directly onto foam; needle felt into triangle shape. Trim edges and needle felt into place.
- 4. Position stocking top piece onto needle-felting foam. Position white and green roving onto top of stocking; needle felt into place. For heart, place red roving onto foam and needle felt until firm. Cut out heart shape and needle felt into place. For stitching around toe and heel, roll tiny balls of red roving between thumb and first finger; needle felt until firm. For decoration at top of stocking, form 1/4”-long ovals from red roving and needle felt to attach.
- 5. Sew top and bottom pieces of each ornament together, leaving opening on top. Gently stuff ornaments with fiberfill; sew opening closed.
- 6. For hangers, cut two 8” lengths of beading thread. Loop lengths and sew ends onto ornament tops.
by Eve Leder