Crochet Bunny Hat
size: baby (toddler, large child/adult); finished measurement, hat circumference, 14" (17-1/2", 21")
- Caron International Simply Soft: Truffle Heather (9502), Soft Pink (9719)
ch = chain
ch-sps = chain-spaces
hdc = half double crochet
RS = Right Side
sc = single crochet
sc2tog = single crochet 2 together
sl st = slip stitch
sp(s) = space(s)
st(s) = stitch(es)
scissors, sewing needle and thread, ruler
- Crochet hook, US 1-9
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needle
- 1. In puff stitch pattern, 14 sts = 4".
- Special Stitches
- 1. Puff: Yarn over, insert hook in indicated st and draw up one loop (3 loops on hook); [yarn over, insert hook in same st and draw up one loop (2 more loops on hook)] twice, yarn over and draw through all 7 loops on hook.
- 2. Puff-shell: (Puff, ch 1, puff) in indicated space.
- Special Technique
- 1. Adjustable-ring method — Wrap yarn into ring, ensuring that tail falls behind working yarn. Between finger and thumb, grip ring and tail firmly. Insert hook through center of ring, yarn over (with working yarn) and draw up one loop. Yarn over and draw through loop on hook (chain stitch made). Work stitches of first round in ring. After first round of stitches is worked, pull gently, but firmly, on tail to tighten ring.
- 1. Note: Hat is worked in continuous rounds. Do not join and do not turn at end of rounds. Truffle Heather (A) and Soft Pink (B).
- 2. With A, make adjustable ring.
- 3. Round 1 (RS): Ch 2, work puff in ring, [ch 1, puff in ring] 5 times—6 puffs and 6 ch-sps.
- 4. Round 2: Work puff-shell in beginning ch-2 sp, ch 1, [puff-shell in next ch-sp, ch 1] 5 times—12 puffs and 12 ch-sps.
- 5. Round 3: [Puff-shell in next ch-sp, ch 1, puff in next ch-sp, ch 1] 6 times—18 puffs and 18 ch-sps.
- 6. Round 4: [Puff-shell in next ch-sp, ch 1, (puff in next ch-sp, ch 1) twice] 6 times—24 puffs and 24 ch-sps.
- Toddler (large child/adult) sizes
- 1. Round 5: [Puff-shell in next ch-sp, ch 1, (puff in next ch-sp, ch 1) 3 times] 6 times—30 puffs and 30 ch-sps.
- Large child/adult size only
- 1. Round 6: [Puff-shell in next ch-sp, ch 1, (puff in next ch-sp, ch 1) 4 times] 6 times—36 puffs and 36 ch-sps.
- All Sizes
- 1. Next 7 (9, 11) Rounds: *puff in next ch-1 sp, ch 1; repeat from * around—24 (30, 36) puffs and 24 (30, 36) ch-sps.
- 1. Row 1: Ch 5 (6, 7), sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each remaining ch across; sl st in next 2 sts of last round of hat, turn—4 (5, 6) sc.
- 2. Row 2: Working in back loops only, sc in each sc of previous ribbing row across, turn.
- 3. Row 3: Ch 1, working in back loops only, sc in each sc of previous ribbing row across, sl st in next 2 sts of last round of hat, turn.
- 4. Row 4: Repeat Row 2.
- 5. Repeat last 2 rows 10 (13, 16) more times. Fasten off leaving a long tail. Use the tail to sew the first and last row of the ribbing together.
- Ears (make 2): inner ear
- 1. With B, ch 9 (9, 11).
- 2. Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each remaining ch across, turn—8 (8, 10) sc.
- 3. Rows 2–20 (24, 26): Ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn.
- 4. Row 21 (25, 27): Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in each sc across, turn–7 (7, 9) sc.
- 5. Rows 22 (26, 28)–27 (31, 35): Repeat last row—1 sc. Fasten off.
- Ears (make 2): outer ear
- 1. With A, work as for inner ear. Fasten off. Hold inner ear on top of outer ear.
- Ears : edging row (RS)
- 1. edging row (RS): Working through both thicknesses, join A with sc in lower corner of ear, sc evenly around ear, working 3 sc in tip of ear, to opposite lower corner. Fasten off.
- 1. With B, make an adjustable ring. (Note: Nose begins with adjustable ring but is worked in rows. Turn at end of each row.)
- 2. Row 1: Ch 2 (counts as hdc here and throughout), work 2 hdc in ring, turn—3 hdc.
- 3. Row 2: Ch 2, hdc in first hdc, hdc in next hdc, 2 hdc in top of turning ch, turn—5 hdc.
- 4. Row 3: Ch 2, hdc in first hdc, hdc in next 3 hdc, 2 hdc in top of turning ch, turn—7 hdc. Fasten off.
- 1. Sew ears to top of hat. Sew nose to front center of hat.
- 2. With yarn needle, weave in all ends.
by KJ Hay for Caron International