Windy Day Poncho
- Natural Nonwovens WoolFelt, 6"x6" squares: White, Peacock, Mediterranean Mist, Babbling Brook
- Green fleece fabric, 1 yd.
- Kreinik Silk Mori: Light Jade
- Polyform Sculpey Ultralight Clay
scissors, clay roller, toothpick, ruler
- Sewing machine and thread
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Snow (Titanium) White, Hauser Light Green, Hauser Medium Green; Craft Twinkles Crystal
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille paintbrushes: Glaze/Wash Brush 1", Golden Taklon: Shader #4, Round #2
- DecoArt Americana Satin Varnish
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- 1. All seam allowances are 1/2".
- 1. Print out pattern.
- 2. To make circle buttons, roll ultralight clay to 1/8" thickness. Cut buttons and polka-dots using pattern. Poke button holes on center of flowers and dots using toothpick. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake buttons on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 3. Use wash brush and Hauser Light Green to paint flowers and Snow White to paint dots. Let dry. Use shader to paint outer edge of buttons Hauser Medium Green, fading in towards center. Let dry. Use round to paint dots Crystal. Let dry. Hot glue polka-dots onto center of buttons. Use wash brush to apply one coat satin varnish on buttons. Let dry. Set aside.
- 4. Cut 20"x40" green fleece fabric rectangle. Fold rectangle over to create square. Cut neck hole from folded edge on square, adjusting size as needed. Roll edges of neck hole over twice and stitch. Fold fleece rectangle back into square with right sides together. Stitch shoulder seam with 1/2" seam allowance. Flip poncho right side out.
- 5. Cut flowers from felt squares. Machine zig-zag stitch flowers, layering shapes, onto poncho. See photo.
- 6. Sew buttons onto center of flowers using needle and Light Jade thread. Machine stitch decorative pattern around flowers with Light Jade thread.
- 7. For scalloped edge on poncho edge, use scalloped rotary cutter or hand cut with scissors.
by April Moffatt