Friendly Plastic Butterflies
- AMACO Friendly Plastic, in colors of choice: 3-4 sticks; Craft Marbling Comb
scissors, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Butterfly cookie cutter
- Aluminum foil
- Cookie sheet
- Electric griddle or oven
- Water bowl with olive oil
- Hole punch
- 1. Adults, help kids when heating plastic on griddle or in oven.
- 2. Position two plastic sticks in colors of choice side-by-side on cookie sheet. Position cookie sheet on griddle or in oven. Heat plastic sticks at 200º or until plastic begins to melt. (As plastic is heated, it becomes fluid and rounded.)
- 3. Remove cookie sheet from heat source. Add another plastic stick to melted sticks. Reheat plastic sticks. Continue until melted plastic is as large as cookie cutter.
- 4. In plastic bowl, add small amount warm water and a few drops of olive oil.
- 5. Remove cookie sheet from heat source. Dip butterfly cookie cutter into bowl of water. Press butterfly cookie cutter into melted plastic. Let cool. Remove cookie cutter.
- 6. Cut circles or other shapes from melted plastic. Position shapes on butterfly. Heat again, melting shapes onto butterfly. Let cool completely.
by Michelle Zimmerman for AMACO