An Apple for the Teacher
scissors, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- AMACO: Balsa Foam I; EZ Grip Modeling Tools
- Acrylic paints: brown, red
- Craft glue
- 1. Measure and cut two 3”x3”x1” balsa foam blocks. Glue blocks together.
- 2. Use pointed tool to draw apple shape into blocks.
- 3. Use modeling tools to carve out apple shape. Remove larger areas around outline.
- 4. After basic shape is carved out, add details like stem hole on top of apple. Round edges of apple.
- 5. Gently smooth edges of apple on clean work surface.
- 6. For apple stem, use discarded scrap to carve skinny log shape.
- 7. On covered work surface, apply gesso onto surfaces of apple and stem. Let dry.
- 8. Paint apple red and stem brown. Let dry.
- 9. Glue stem inside stem hole. Let dry.
- 10. Glue magnet on back of apple.
by Michelle Zimmerman for AMACO