This fun and festive Frankenstein is far from frightful! Sure to be a hit with your guests, this Halloween decoration is great to display indoors or out.
- Craft foam, 9”x12”, one each: purple, orange, green
- Wiggle eyes, 10mm, two
- Purple satin ribbon, 1/8”-wide, 2 yds.
- Purple Halloween print ribbon, 1/2”-wide, 12” length
- Orange chenille stem
paper, pencil, scissors, ruler, toothpick
- Fiskars Victorian Paper Edgers Decorative Edged Scissors
- Hole punch, 1/8"
- Black permanent marker: extra-fine-tip; fine-tip
- Thick craft glue
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. Follow directions on patterns. For wind-strips, use decorative edged scissors to cut 1”x12” strips from the following foam colors: three purple; two green, two orange. From purple foam, cut a 6”x7” rectangle (head base), a 1”x7” strip, and two 1” squares; use decorative edged scissors to trim edges of head base except one long edge (bottom). Use pencil to draw a line 1/4” from bottom of head base. Beginning 1/2” from left edge, punch holes along marked line spacing each 1” apart, and ending 1/2” from right edge. Punch a hole 1/4” from center of one short end of each wind-strip.
- 2. To assemble the head, see photo. Center and adhere head to head base so top of head extends 3/8” from top of head base. (Note: Pencil line on head base should be at back.) Adhere hair, eyebrows, eyeballs, nose, and cheeks on face as shown. Adhere wiggle eyes on eyeballs. Use fine-tip marker to draw mouth. For neck bolts, cut two 4” lengths from chenille stem. Wrap each length around toothpick to coil, leaving 1” straight. Adhere straight end of neck bolt to back of neck at each side. Cut a 4-1/4” length from Halloween ribbon. Adhere ribbon to bottom of neck so edges are even. Tie remaining ribbon length into a two loop bow; cut ends at a slant. Adhere bow to center of neck ribbon. Use extra-fine-tip marker to draw finger and nail lines on hands. Adhere hands to each side of face as shown.
- 3. To assemble the banner, cut seven 6” lengths from 1/8” wide ribbon. Thread ribbon ends through each head base hole and wind-strips from front to back. Pull ends to back leaving space between head base and strips so strips hang freely. Trim excess ribbon. Adhere 1”x7” purple craft foam strip on top of ribbon ends at back of head base.
- 4. For hanger, adhere ends of remaining length of 1/8” wide ribbon to back of head base at each top corner. Adhere 1” craft foam square over ribbon ends to secure in place.
by Lorine Mason