Stitched-Look Paper Tapestry
- Cardstock or construction paper, 8-1/2"x11": burnt orange, tan, dark brown, black
- Red print paper
- Tan leather cording, 16" length
- Black cording, nine 6" lengths
- Red pony beads, nine
- Silver beads, 18
scissors, ruler, sponge scrap, black marker, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Plaid Simply Stencil (#17429)
- Black inkpad
- Hole punch
- API Crafter's Pick The Ultimate! Glue
- 1. Use black marker to draw outline around 8-1/2"x11" burnt orange rectangle. Draw dashed diagonal lines (for stitching).
- 2. Use pencil to measure and draw 7"x8" rectangle on tan paper. Carefully tear edges of rectangle. Use black marker to draw outline and dashed stitch lines around torn rectangle. Glue torn rectangle in center of burnt orange rectangle.
- 3. Measure and cut one 2" and two 1-1/2" squares from brown paper. Cut 1-1/2" square in half, creating four triangle shapes. Glue brown square and four triangles on center of tan square.
- 4. Measure and cut one 1-1/2" square and two 1" squares from red paper. Cut 1" squares in half, creating four triangles. Glue red square and triangles on center of brown square and triangles.
- 5. Measure and cut 1"x10" black paper strip. Glue strip across top of burnt orange rectangle.
- 6. Measure and cut 1/2"x8-1/2" brown paper strip. Glue strip across bottom of burnt orange rectangle.
- 7. Measure and cut two 2" red paper squares. Cut squares in half, creating four triangles. Glue three triangles along bottom brown strip.
- 8. Position stencil on left side of center brown square. Use sponge scrap to dab stencil with black inkpad. Remove stencil. Repeat process for right side of brown square.
- 9. Use hole punch to punch three holes in each red triangle (on bottom strip). Measure and cut nine 6" black cording lengths. Knot end of cording; thread silver bead, red bead, silver bead on each length. Tie knot above last bead. Thread beaded length through punched holes; knot ends together.
- 10. For hanger, use hole punch to punch hole on either end of black strip. Measure and cut 16" length from tan cording. Insert ends through holes; knot on front of hanging.
by Mary Ayres