Cute as a Bug! Magnets
- AMACO Balsa Foam squares: 3"x3-1/2"
scissors, ruler, black marker, foam brush, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- AMACO EZ Grip Tools
- Metal cookie cutters: circle, heart
- Acrylic paints: red, black, green, white, yellow
- Sealer or varnish
- Adhesive-back magnets
- 1. Use black marker to sketch bug on balsa foam square. Use photo as guide. For ladybug, use circle or heart cookie cutter to lightly press shape into balsa foam square.
- 2. On covered work surface, use carving tools to carve away excess balsa foam around shapes. Add detail lines like indentations in caterpillars and wing line on ladybugs.
- 3. Use foam brush to apply gesso on bugs. Let dry.
- 4. Paint as follows: ladybug black and red, caterpillar green, bee yellow and black. Let dry. Add yellow and red highlights on caterpillar. Paint bee's wings white and dot ladybug's wings black. Let dry.
- 5. Use foam brush to apply sealer or gloss varnish on bugs. Let dry.
- 6. Remove backing from magnet; press magnet on back of bug.
- 1. When creating for a group, adults cut out bug shapes from balsa foam squares. Have kids paint bug in colors of choice!
- 2. For your fundraiser, package your magnets in clear cellophane bags with these colorful and fun cards. Print artwork onto card stock and insert into bags.
by Michelle Zimmerman for AMACO