Springtime Topiary Tablescape
size: topiaries, 11" and 14" tall; ducklings, 4" tall; eggs, 3" long
- Papier-mâché shapes: cones, two 11” tall and one 14" tall; ducks, 4" tall, two; eggs, 3" long, six
- White tissue paper
- Adhesive pearls: small black, assorted-size clear
- White seam binding
- Small white paper roses
- American Moss Natural Excelsior Moss Ribbon
detail scissors, ruler, pencil, paintbrush, newspapers, small disposable container
- Stamps: Stampendous Jumbo Cling Hydrangea, Artistic Outpost Ephemeral Backgrounds (music), Hero Arts Antique Engravings (butterfly)
- Ranger Archival Jet Black Ink Pad
- Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist: Pink Bubblegum, Deep Plum, Sun Sisters, Olive Vine
- FloraCraft Twinklets Diamond Dust Glitter
- Signo Uni-Ball White Gel Pen
- White acrylic paint
- Non-stick craft sheet
- Adhesives: double-sided tape or sheets, clear dots, foam dots, Elmer's Liquid Glue
- 1. For each cone, lay a large sheet of tissue paper flat. Spray with either Pink Bubblegum or Deep Plum Glimmer Mist; let dry. Apply additional layers of Glimmer Mist until pleased with effect.
- 2. Stamp Jet Black hydrangea images over misted tissue. Carefully outline flowers with white gel pen; let dry. See Fig. 1.
- 3. Cover surface of cone with tape. Wrap layer of stamped tissue around cone until entire surface is covered; trim excess.
- 4. Detail cut pairs of flowers from remaining tissue scraps. Spray and stamp more tissue, if needed. Apply cut-out flowers to cone with clear adhesive dots. Layer until pleased with effect; see Fig. 2. Accent flowers with clear mini gems.
- 5. Stamp butterflies onto misted tissue sections, 16 pink for purple cone and eight purple for each pink cone. Carefully accent images with white gel pen; tissue will become saturated with ink, so be gentle or tissue will tear. Let dry completely.
- 6. Detail cut butterflies. Layer butterflies in pairs using a clear dot; adhere to cone with clear dot, leaving wings free. Accent body with clear gems.
- 7. Pull a mound of excelsior for base of centerpiece. Spritz excelsior with pink Glimmer Mist until pleased with effect; let dry completely. Place excelsior in center of table, nestling other elements among strands.
- 1. Paint ducks white; let dry.
- 2. Stamp Jet Black music background onto ducks, rolling stamp over surface. Stamping need not look “perfect”; the more vintage-look, the better.
- 3. Mist ducks with yellow Glimmer Mist; let dry. Thin a small amount of liquid glue with water in disposable container. Apply to ducks here and there using paintbrush; sprinkle with glitter and let dry.
- 4. Cut one 6" and one 10" length from white seam binding. Working over non-stick craft sheet, spray 6" length with green Glimmer Mist; spray 10" length with pink. Scrunch binding with hands to spread color and to create crinkled effect. Let dry completely; tie around neck or head as shown.
- 5. Mist one paper rose pink and three yellow; let dry completely. Glue to ducks as shown. Adhere black pearl eyes to ducks.
- 1. Spray one sheet of tissue with pink Glimmer Mist; spray a second sheet with purple. Let dry completely. Tear each sheet into several 1" pieces.
- 2. Thin a small amount of liquid glue with water in disposable container. Apply to surface of first egg with paintbrush. Apply tissue pieces to egg until surface is completely covered with multiple layers of tissue.
- 3. Apply final coat of thinned glue and roll in crystal glitter; set aside on craft sheet to dry completely.
by Suzanne Czosek