Santa in a Chimney Box
size: 12" tall
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 6" cone
- Paper-mache box and lid, 5" square
- Creative Paperclay Delight Air-Dry Clay: White
- DecoArt Americana: Acrylic Paints: Calico Red, Baby Pink, Santa Red, Spice Pink, Silver Sage, Lamp Black; Glamour Dust: Ice Crystal; Snow-Tex
- Wiggle eyes, two
- Cardstock, scraps: red, white
- Red holiday-print ribbon, 4" length
- Rhinestone stars, two
- White pom-pom, 1"
- Red marker
- Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue
scissors, ruler, sponge scrap, craft stick or plastic knife, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. On clean work surface, remove clay from package. To condition, roll clay in hands until soft, bending and rolling until pliable. If clay cracks, keep conditioning. Cover cone (Santa's hat) with clay. Smooth edges. For Santa's nose, roll small 1/2" ball. Set hat and nose aside to dry.
- 2. On covered work surface, paint 2" area (face) on center of cone Baby Pink. Paint nose Baby Pink. Paint top and bottom of hat Santa Red. Let dry.
- 3. Roll 2" clay ball into log shape (beard). Use toothpick to add details on beard. Wrap and glue beard around bottom of face. Roll 1" clay ball into log shape (moustache). Glue moustache and nose on face.
- 4. Use craft stick or plastic knife to apply snow medium between hat and top of face. Let dry. Use paintbrush to apply Ice Crystal onto all areas of Santa. Let dry.
- 5. Paint box lid Lamp Black and bottom of box Silver Sage. Let dry. For brick pattern, cut 1/2"x1-1/2" sponge scrap. Press sponge scrap into Calico Red paint; press sponge on side of box, creating bricks. Let dry.
- 6. Glue Santa on top of lid. Glue wiggle eyes, one star, and pom-pom onto Santa.
- 7. Use craft stick to apply snow medium around box lid. Let dry. Paint snow area Ice Crystal. Let dry.
- 8. For tag, measure and cut 2"x3" white cardstock rectangle. Use red marker to write "BELIEVE" on center of tag. Glue tag on red cardstock; trim edges. Glue remaining star on tag and ribbon around tag.
by Sandy Rollinger