Give Thanks Pot
size: 7” tall
- Wooden spoon
- Jumbo craft sticks, two
- Rose pot, 4”
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Ball, 3”
- Recycled plastic lid or cardboard, 3-1/2”
- Felt: tan and brown
- Red craft foam, scrap
- Straw hat, 4”
- Wiggle eyes, 7mm, two
- Jute twine
- Silk flowers with leaves, three
- Ribbon: orange, 7/8”-wide; autumn print, 1/2”-wide
scissors, ruler, pencil, black marker, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Camel, Dark Chocolate, Sable Brown
- Loew-Cornell American Painter brushes: Wash, 3/4”, 1/2”; Shader, 14/0
- Red chalk
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- 1. Print out patterns. Cut scarf and gloves from felt and nose from craft foam.
- 2. On covered work surface, paint inside of clay pot and pot rim Sable Brown. Paint remainder of pot Dark Chocolate. Paint spoon and craft sticks Camel.
- 3. Outline nose with marker. Draw small lines around outline. Adhere nose and eyes to center of spoon. Draw wiggly smile and draw small lines on smile. Rub red chalk onto cheeks.
- 4. Adhere autumn-print ribbon around hat; add flowers and leaves. Knot several strands of raffia together and adhere inside top of hat. Generously add glue to top of scarecrow and push into center of raffia. Trim raffia above eyes and around head.
- 5. Adhere craft sticks to back of spoon stick about 5” from top of spoon.
- 6. Spread glue on one glove and stick to end of craft stick with thumb up. Adhere second glove to back. Tie cord around wrist. Repeat for other glove.
- 7. Fringe top of scarf. Wrap around neck and tie with cord. Fold down fringed edge.
- 8. Adhere foam ball in pot. Cut 1/2” hole in center of plastic lid with pointed end of scissors and push into ball inside pot.
- 9. Write “GIVE THANKS” on pot rim with marker. Wrap orange ribbon around pot; adhere ends. Tie ribbon bow; adhere on pot. Adhere flowers and leaves to bow.
- 10. Add glue to end of spoon stick. Insert spoon through plastic lid into foam ball.
by Linda Valentino