Birch Bark & Roses Cake Centerpiece
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam cake forms, one each: 10"x4", 8"x4", 6"x4"
- Birch Bark Sheets, two 16"x16" sheets (Birchbarkstore.com)
- Artificial twisted green vines, 48" length
- Artificial or live flowers: pink roses: 5 large, 5 mini; pink rosebuds: 1 large, 3 bunches mini pink/cream
- Reindeer moss: natural, dark green
scissors, ruler, pencil
- Floral shears
- Floral pins
- Low-temp glue gun and sticks
- 1. Measure and mark 16"x4" strips on bark sheet. Cut strips with scissors. Use fingertips to separate bark layers, creating thinner, more flexible strips. Work carefully and slowly, using extra caution around knots to avoid separating strips into smaller pieces. Glue bark strips onto sides of each cake layer.
- 2. Position wrapped vines on top of 6" layer to create loop on top and to cover edges. Secure with floral pins and low temp glue. (Note: Leave space between vines for roses.)
- 3. Trim large rose stems to 2” and insert between vines into top of form. Hot glue stems.
- 4. Stack 6", 8", and 10" layers together. Hot glue to secure.
- 5. Attach large rosebud on center of middle layer and mini roses on sides and centers of two bottom layers. Hot glue natural and dark green moss on any uncovered areas.
by Diane Flowers for Dow Chemical Co.