Candy Corn Poncho
size: 12-24 months (2-4 years); finished measurements, neck circumference, 19” (20”); length, 9-1/2” (11”)
- Yarn: Yellow(ish) (0012), Coral(ish) (0014), White(ish) (0004)
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
hdc = half double crochet
pm = place marker
rep = repeat
rnd(s) = round(s)
sk = skip
sl st = slip stitch
st(s) = stitch(es)
- Crochet hooks: US H-8 (5mm); US 1-9 (5.5mm)
- Stitch markers, two
- Tapestry needle
- 1. 12 sts x 6 rows = 4” in dc.
- 1. Yellow(ish) (A), Coral(ish) (B), and White(ish) (C) throughout.
- 1. With A, ch 70 (74). Join into rnd with a sl st, taking care not to twist.
- 2. Round 1: Ch 2, hdc in the next ch and each ch around. Join rnd with sl st. (70/74 sts)
- 3. Rounds 2-3: Ch 3, dc in next st and each st around. Join rnd with sl st in top of ch-3.
- 4. Round 4: Ch 3, pm, dc in next 34 (36) sts, pm, dc in each st around. Join rnd with sl st in top of ch-3.
- 5. Round 5: Ch 3, 2 dc in marked st, move marker to last dc made, dc in each st to 2nd marker, 2 dc in marked st, move marker to last dc made, dc in each st around. Join rnd with sl st in top of ch-3. (72/76 sts)
- 6. Large Size only: Rnd 6: Rep Round 5. (78 sts)
- 7. Both Sizes: Join B. Cut A.
- 8. Next 5 Rounds: With B, rep Round 5. Join C. Cut B.
- 9. Next 4 Rounds: With C, rep Round 5.
- 10. Edging Round: Ch 3, [dc, ch 1, 2 dc] in same st as ch, ch 1, sk 1 st, *[2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc] in next st, ch 1, sk 1 st; rep from * around. Join rnd with sl st in top of ch-3. Fasten off.
- 1. Weave in ends.
- Make Tie
- 1. With larger hook, with 1 strand each of A and C held together, and leaving 6” tail, ch 170 (or amount to create desired length). Fasten off, leaving 6” tail. (Note: If not using a larger hook, then make a chain using only 1 strand of yarn. Ch as many stitches necessary to create desired length.) Weave tie in and out of base of neckline (Round 2), beginning and ending at center front of poncho.
- Pom-Poms (make 2)
- 1. With A and C held together, wrap yarn around three of your fingers about 30 times. Slip wraps off of fingers and tie piece of yarn tightly around center of wraps. Cut both ends of wraps and fluff pom-pom. Trim. Using beginning and ending tails of tie, tie one pom-pom to each end. Snip tails to blend with pom-pom.
by Vickie Howell for Bernat Yarns