Cross-Stitch Pollen Power Beaded Necklace
size of neck chain: 26” length; stitch count: 19 w x 27 h
- Wichelt Imports 28-count White Jobelan, 6”x4”
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss
- Coordinating-color backing material, 6”x4”
- Pres-On Mounting Boards, 6” squares: Foam, Flat
- Cotton batting, 3”x4”
- Mill Hill Seed Beads, 1 pkg. each: 2011, 2014, 2063, 42014
- Just Another Button Company Wee Bee Button (1101W)
- Gold jewelry findings: barrel clasp, 3/4”; figure 8 jump rings, 3/8”, two
- White Silamide thread, size A, 6-1/2 yds.
Backstitch : 2 strands
Cross-stitch : 2 strands
Straight Stitch : 1 strand
scissors, needle, tacky glue
- Beading needle
- 1. Cross-stitch design centered on fabric. Sew beads on design as indicated on chart.
- 2. Backstitch flower using DMC 498 Christmas Red-DK, leaves using DMC 501 Blue Green-DK, bee trail using DMC 310 Black, and outside border (with bead attachment) using DMC 321 Christmas Red. Straight stitch flower center using 1 strand DMC 310 Black. Attach Wee Bee button using 2 strands DMC 725 Topaz.
- 3. For neck chain, measure and cut two 56” Silamide thread lengths. Thread each length through one figure 8 jump ring and fold lengths in half; tie knot. For one side of neck chain, string first two beads; separate floss into two strands each and string two beads as shown on chart onto both threads. Go through next bead with both strands. Continue process until total of 30 red bead groups and 31 black bead groups have been added. Attach thread end to barrel clasp. Repeat process for other side of neck chain for two beaded lengths with one end attached to figure 8 jump ring and other end attached to one end of barrel clasp.
- 4. Print out patterns. Cut one oval from Foam mounting board and one oval from Flat mounting board. Press backing fabric on Flat mounting board; smooth edges. Press stitched design on Foam mounting board; smooth edges.
- 5. Position figure 8 jump rings, evenly spaced, along top edge of Flat mounting board so each end extends over edge of board. Press stitched design/Foam mounting board over jump rings; spot glue to adhere.
- 6. Twist two skeins of DMC 310 Black together creating cording. Adhere cording around pendant, covering edges of boards.
by Jackie Hendricks