Autumn Owl Pins
- Polyform Sculpey Premo! Polymer Clay: Grey Granite, Burnt Umber, Black
- Metal pin back
paintbrush, craft knife, toothpick, wooden dowel, paper plate
- Polyform Sculpey Gloss Glaze
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Lamp Black, Snow White, Camel
- Acrylic roller, parchment-lined baking sheet, and oven
- Heavy-duty craft glue
- 1. Print out patterns. Cut patterns from cardstock. Condition about 1/3 brick of Grey Granite clay. Roll clay to 1/4” thickness. Position cardstock pattern on clay; trace around owl shape using craft knife. Smooth edges using fingers.
- 2. Use toothpick to indent eyes; roll two tiny Black clay balls and press inside indentations. Form leftover rolled clay into wing shape. Make three indentations at bottom of wings and randomly along center of chest for feathers.
- 3. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake owl on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 4. Paint circle around eye and chest feathers Snow White. On paper plate, mix 1:1: mixture Lamp Black and Snow White for dark grey; paint outline of wing. Dot feathers and top of head dark grey. Paint beak Camel. Let dry.
- 5. For Brown Owl, repeat process using Burnt Umber clay. Paint around eyes, wing outline, chest feathers, and top of head Camel. Outline eyes White. Paint beak dark grey.
- 6. Adhere pin back on back of owl. (Note: Adhere pin close to top of head so owl will lay properly.) Apply one coat Gloss Glaze. Let dry.
by Phoebe Doehring for Polyform Products