Sewn Patchwork Cases
- Fabric scraps, in various sizes
- C&T Publishing fast2fuse heavyweight double-sided fusible interfacing: 11"x18", 4-1/2"x9"
- Plastic sheet, 8-1/2"x10"
- Buttons, in various sizes
scissors, ruler, disappearing fabric marker, pins, iron, sewing needle
- Decorative-edge fabric scissors
- Embroidery needle
- Pellon (950F) Shirt-Tailor Firm Fusible Interfacing, 1/2 yd.
- The Warm Co. Steam-A-Seam Double-sided Fusible Webbing, 1/2 yd.
- Sewing machine and coordinating thread
- Manila file folder or heavyweight paper
- Velcro Sticky-Back Tape
- Phone & Make-up Case
- 1. Print out pattern. Cut pattern pieces from manila file folder or heavy-weight paper.
- 2. For phone case, machine stitch patchwork pieces together creating long strip slightly larger than pattern. Press seams open. Cut solid piece of fabric same-size as patchwork strip. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse interfacing to wrong side of patchwork strip.
- 3. Trace phone case pattern onto fabric pieces; cut out. With fabric right sides facing, machine stitch 1/4" from edge. Leave open where indicated on pattern. Trim seam allowance and turn right side out through opening. Press well with iron.
- 4. Slip stitch phone case opening closed using button thread. Refer to pattern and fold fabric. Pin in place. Machine stitch 1/8" from edge of fabric around phone case.
- 5. Cut 1"x18" fabric strip; fold in half and press with iron. Hand gather 1/8" from raw edge with button thread. Pull gathers tight and knot off. Glue button to center of rosette. Glue rosette to front flap of phone case. Apply Velcro to inside flap and front of case.
- 6. For make-up case, follow instructions above using make-up case pattern.
- Computer Notepad Case
- 1. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse scraps of fabric to both fast2fuse pieces. Overlap fabric edges slightly. Completely cover and fuse each side of fast2fuse with fabric.
- 2. Generously machine straight and zig-zag stitch across and around fabric pieces.
- 3. Machine zig-zag stitch around edges of 9" fast2fuse rectangle (for flap).
- 4. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse two 18"x1-3/4" and two 9"x1-3/4" strips of Steam-A-Seam with fabric. Using decorative-edge scissors, cut fused-fabric strips to measure 1-1/2". Fold strips in half and finger press. Remove paper film. Position 18" patchwork rectangle between strip and fuse in place with iron. Repeat for all sides.
- 5. Machine stitch flap to back of 18" patchwork rectangle. (Note: 1" of flap should be centered and stitched to back of larger fast2fuse rectangle.) Sew button to front of flap with button thread.
- 6. On inside right side of patchwork rectangle, position plastic sheet. Machine stitch 1/8" from edge on three sides of plastic, leaving top open.
- 7. Apply Velcro to inside of flap and front of case. Insert computer notepad through top of plastic sleeve inside patchwork case. Position flap to front of case and secure with Velcro.
- 1. Adjust size of patterns as needed for make-up, phone, and notepad.
by Rebekah Meier