Belle of the Ball Fashion Doll Dress
With only two pattern pieces, this stunning dress is so easy to make and is completely reversible.
- Fabrics, 1/3 yd. each: satin, iridescent organza lining
- Matching thread
- Snaps, #4, two
scissors, needle, straight pins, iron
- Sewing machine
- 60/8 sewing machine needle
- 1. Finished size fits 11-1/2” fashion doll.
- 2. Sew with right sides together with 1/4” seams.
- 1. Always use a new needle when sewing delicate fabrics. Before inserting new needle, check 1/4” seam allowance by placing piece of paper under presser foot at 1/4” seam allowance line. Hand roll needle through paper several times. Measure from hole to edge of paper. If measurement is not 1/4”, make adjustment. Replace needle.
- 2. Cut out patterns. Pin fabrics right sides together, pin pattern to fabric along grain lines, and cut out both satin and organza pattern pieces at same time. For dress top, leave pieces pinned together. Sew both long curved edges together. See Photo #1. Trim top edge and clip lower edge as shown on pattern; turn right side out. Press flat. (see photos)
- 3. For skirt, sew along waistline of each fabric piece to prevent fabric from raveling. Pin skirt pieces together, with right sides facing. Sew along outside seam lines only; do not sew waistline. Clip curves as shown on pattern; turn right side out. Press flat.
- 4. See Photo #2. Pin front of top to front of waistline, pinning only the satin together and leaving skirt lining free. Sew waistline; trim to seam allowance. Turn top up. Turn seam of lining to inside of garment; pin in place along waistline seam. Whipstitch in place. (see photos)
- 5. Wrap dress around doll to determine placement for snaps. Sew snaps in place, being careful not to sew through outside of fabric. Press skirt on fold lines.
by Dorinda Balanecki