Iced Egg Topiary
size: 14" tall
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 6" egg; 5" ball
- Lightweight acrylic spackling
- Terra cotta pot, 5"
- Wooden dowel, 10" length
- Ribbon, lengths: 12", 18"
sharp pencil, serrated knife, bar of soap or candle, sandpaper, disposable containers, measuring cup, chopstick or skewer, paintbrush
- Disposable pastry bags, three
- Wilton cake decorating tips: #5 round, #67 leaf, #131 drop flower, #233 grass
- Acrylic paints: white, pink, green
- Plaid Matte Finish Mod Podge
- Low-temp glue gun and sticks
- 1. Wax serrated knife blade with candle or bar of soap. Cut 5" ball in half. Glue one half, cut side up, into terra cotta pot. Cut hole in center of ball-half using sharp pencil. Insert dowel into ball-half. Remove dowel, spot glue to hole, and insert again. Paint terra cotta pot white and dowel bright pink. Let dry.
- 2. Insert skewer or chopstick into wide end of egg. Mix small amount water and 1 cup acrylic spackle in disposable container. Stir until mixture is smooth and consistency of yogurt. Holding skewer in one hand, use flat-edge paintbrush in other hand to spread layer of spackling over egg. Let dry. Lightly sand dry spackling. If needed, add second coat of spackling. Let dry thoroughly.
- 3. Mix 2 cups spackling and small amount water in disposable container. Mix until smooth. Set 1/2 cup aside for icing. In second container, tint 3/4 cup of spackling with tiny amount pink acrylic paint. Mix thoroughly. In another container, tint 1/2 cup of spackling with light green acrylic paint. Fill pastry bags with green, pink, and white "icing" and attach tips. (Note: Keep tips under damp rag when not in use.)
- 4. Brush egg with water using paintbrush. Decorate egg like decorating cake. Create squiggle lines and dots with round point, flowers with drop flower point, and leaves with leaf point. Let dry thoroughly. Ice top surface of ball-half using grass tip. Let dry.
- 5. Apply one coat Mod Podge onto egg; let dry. Gently twist skewer or chopstick out of egg. Insert egg onto top of wooden dowel; spot glue to secure. Tie ribbon bow around base of egg and around rim of terra cotta pot.
by Kathleen George for Dow Chemical Co.