Sewn Bunny Basket
- National Nonwovens WoolFelt: 1/2 yd. Buttercup, 10"x12" Shocking Pink, 9"x16" Pistachio Ice Cream
- Cotton pink gingham, 1/2 yd.
- Extra-heavy fusible interfacing, 1 yd.
- Kreinik Fine #8 Braid: Bolero Black (3540), Cotton Candy (5700)
- Polyform Sculpey Ultralight Clay
scissors, clay roller, embroidery needle, ruler or measuring tape
- Sewing machine and thread
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Snow (Titanium) White, Ocean Blue, Blue Harbor, Spice Pink, Electric Pink
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille paintbrushes: Golden Taklon Jackie Shaw Liner Brush, Glaze/Wash 1", Shader #4
- DecoArt Americana Satin Varnish
- Parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- 1. All seam allowances are 1/2".
- 1. Print out pattern.
- 2. For bunny face, roll clay to 1/8" thickness. Cut out bunny’s eyes and nose using pattern. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool. Use glaze/wash to paint nose Spice Pink and eyes Snow White. Let dry. Use shader to paint outer edge of nose Electric Pink fading in towards center. Let dry. Use liner to outline eye Blue Harbor and shader to paint remaining area of eyes Blue Harbor. Let dry. Use shader to paint bottom half circles of eyes Ocean Blue. Let dry. Use liner to paint Snow White highlight on top of eyes. Let dry. Use wash to apply one coat satin varnish.
- 3. Cut five body pattern pieces and four ear pattern pieces from Buttercup wool felt. Cut five body pattern pieces from pink gingham. Cut two handle pattern pieces from Pistachio Ice Cream wool felt. Cut two inner ear pattern pieces from Shocking Pink wool felt. Cut ten body pattern pieces, four ear pattern pieces, and two handle pattern pieces from extra-heavy fusible interfacing.
- 4. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse interfacing onto wrong side of each fabric piece.
- 5. Pin two inner ear pieces to right sides of two yellow ears. Position bottom of inner ear 2" up from bottom of yellow ear. Zig-zag stitch around edge of each. With right sides together, stitch each front ear to other back ear leaving bottom open. Clip top corner and turn right side out. Press. Fold bottom of ear in towards center and stitch small pleat into ear. Set aside.
- 6. Position right sides together and stitch sides of handle. Turn right side out and press. Set aside.
- 7. Sew body pieces together placing right sides together and sewing along side seams. (Note: Continue adding pieces until you can stitch final pieces together forming basket shape.) Press.
- 8. Pin ears (pink side down) to front of basket and pin handle ends to top side edge of basket following Fig. 1. With right sides together, slide the basket lining over right side of basket. Line up selvages and pin. Stitch around top edge. Gently open 5" opening on one of lining side seams. Pull entire basket through opening. See Fig. 2. Turn right side out and press top edge. Machine topstitch top edge 1/8" down and then 1/4" down. Hand stitch inner side seam closed. (see photos)
- 9. Backstitch eyelashes using Bolero Black thread and mouth using Cotton Candy thread. Hot glue eyes and nose on face.
by April Moffatt