Summer Days Punch Needle
Watermelon, butterflies, bright blooms, and the sun are all things summer. This simple summer punch needle design is the perfect afternoon project.
- DMC White Punch Needle Fabric
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss: 164, 310, 469, 471, 472, 645, 728, 746, 813, 962, 987, 989, 3766, 3811, 3832, 3833, 3839, 3865, blanc, ecru
- DMC Dark Grey (6370) Memory Thread: 7” length, 18” length
- National Nonwovens Blended WoolFelt: Norwegian Blue, 4”x5-3/4”; Willow, 4-3/8”x6-1/8”
flat brush, scissors, transfer paper
- Punch needle of choice, 3-strand, on low loop setting
- DMC embroidery scissors
- Interlocking hoop frame, 7” diamete
- Clear-drying water-based glue
- 1. Size of design: 3-3/8”x5-1/8”; size of finished design: 4-3/8”x6-1/8”
- Summer Days
- 1. Print out patterns. Transfer design onto center of punch needle fabric. Position fabric in hoop.
- 2. Following pattern, punch needle design using three strands floss working from inside of design outwards. Trim thread ends on front and back of design.
- 3. With design in hoop, use flat brush to coat back of design with clear glue. Let dry.
- 4. Remove design from hoop; trim around design leaving 1/8” border on all sides.
- 5. Measure and cut 4”x5-3/4” Norwegian Blue felt rectangle. Center design on felt rectangle and adhere into place with clear glue. Cut 18” Memory Thread length. Bend thread around outer edge of design; adhere in place using clear glue. Clip thread ends; let dry.
- 6. For hanger, cut 7” Memory Thread length. Measure and cut 4-3/8”x6-1/8” Willow felt rectangle. Bend Memory Thread length in half and adhere ends to top edges of Willow felt rectangle. Let dry.
- 7. Adhere Willow felt rectangle (with the hanger at top) to back of Norwegian Blue rectangle with punch needle design. Press gently together. Let dry completely before hanging.
by Alice Okon for The DMC Corp.