Insulated Beach Bag
- Outdoor fabric, 3/4 yd.
- Outdoor lining fabric, 3/4 yd.
- C&T Publishing Insul-Fleece Craft Pack, 27”x45”
- C&T Publishing Shape-Flex Interfacing Craft Pack, 20”x45”
- Polyform Sculpey Ultralight Clay
- Woven canvas strip, 1-1/2”-wide, 120” length
- Kreinik Green Trim with Wire, 3/8”-wide, 1 spool
- Heavy sport zipper, 26” length
scissors, craft knife, toothpick
- Sewing machine and thread
- DecoArt Americana: Blue Bahama Patio Paint; Pearlizing Medium
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon paintbrushes: Series 7730 Aura 1/2”, 1”; Series 7300C Shader #2, Series 7000 Round #2
- DecoArt: Walnut Gel Stain, Star Lite Varnish
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
- 1. For bag medallions, roll ultralight clay to 1/4” thickness. Use craft knife to cut out two 2”-diameter circles. Use toothpick to make hole on each circle. Press seashell on center of circles creating pattern lines. Flatten medallions. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake medallions on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 2. Paint medallions (1:1) mixture Blue Bahama and Pearlizing Medium using 1” aura brush. Let dry. Use round brush to paint in grooves of shell imprint Walnut gel stain. Let sit for five minutes. Use shader to feather edge of stain and drybrush in areas. Let dry. Use 1/2” aura brush to paint entire medallion with Star Lite varnish. Let dry. Set aside.
- 3. Cut two 27”x21” rectangles from exterior fabric, lining fabric, Insul-Fleece, and Shape-Flex Interfacing. Cut two 60”-long lengths from woven canvas strip (for handles).
- 4. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse Shape-Flex Interfacing to wrong side of exterior fabric panels. On right side of exterior panels, machine topstitch woven strap following Layout Diagram.
- 5. With right sides together, pin top selvages of both exterior panels together. Baste stitch along top using 1/2” seam allowance. Press seam open. Pin sport zipper face down against inside of seam, careful to align seam and zipper. Change sewing machine foot to zipper foot. On right side of seam, stitch 1/4 along seam. Using seam ripper or sharp pair of scissors, open seam to reveal zipper and tidy up threads.
- 6. With right sides together, match side and bottom selvages of exterior panels. Stitch side seams and bottom seam using 1/2” seam allowance.
- 7. Make gusset by flattening corner into triangle and pressing. Measure down 3” from top point. Stitch straight across and trim corner with scissors. See Gusset Diagram.
- 8. Pin Insul-Fleece to wrong side of lining fabric panels. Put right sides of lining panels together matching selvages. Stitch along side and bottom seams.
- 9. Make gusset as above by flattening corner into triangle and pressing. Measure down 3” from top point. Stitch straight across and trim corner with scissors. See Gusset Diagram.
- 10. Fold top selvage of lining under 1/2”; press. Slide lining of beach bag inside exterior beach bag so that wrong sides are facing one another. Pin top folded down selvages together. On exterior side of bag, stitch along top edge using 1/4” seam allowance.
- 11. Attach clay shell medallions with Green Trim with Wire to one strap or zipper end.
by April Moffatt