Ruffled Diaper Cover
Adorable double ruffles and handmade clay buttons make this diaper cover the perfect summer accessory for baby.
- Cotton fabric (diaper cover), 1/2 yd.
- Coordinating cotton fabrics, two prints (ruffles), 1/8 yd. each
- Polyform Sculpey Ultralight Clay
- Elastic, 1/4”-wide
scissors, craft knife, iron, straight pins, needle and thread, safety pin
- Sewing machine and thread
- DecoArt: Americana: Acrylic Paints: Buttermilk, Peony Pink, Light Hauser Green, Pistachio Mint, Warm White; Duraclear Satin Varnish
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon paintbrushes: Aura Series 7730 1/2”, Shader 7300C #2, Round Series 7000 #3
- Parchment-lined baking sheet, clay-dedicated rolling pin, oven
- 1. Diaper cover measures approximately 12”x12”.
- Ruffled Diaper Cover
- 1. On clean work surface, roll ultralight clay to 1/8” thickness. Use craft knife to cut out two button shapes. Use toothpick to make button holes. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake buttons on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 2. Paint buttons Peony Pink using aura brush. Let dry. Paint center of buttons Warm White using shader brush. Let dry. Dot area around center Light Hauser Green using round brush. Let dry. Apply one coat varnish to buttons. Let dry.
- 3. Print out full-size patterns. Cut front and back of diaper cover following pattern instructions. Cut 4”x20” rectangles from two coordinating fabrics (for ruffles).
- 4. Fold one rectangle ruffle strip in half lengthwise with right sides together; machine sew selvages, with 1/2” seam allowance, leaving 3” opening on one side. Turn right side out. Clip corners. Press. Machine sew edges all around. Baste stitch down center of rectangle strip; gather strip into ruffle. Repeat with other rectangle ruffle strip.
- 5. Pin ruffles on right side of diaper cover back piece following pattern. Place right sides of diaper cover front and back together at side seams. Machine sew side seams together.
- 6. Press edges of waistband and leg holes under 1/4”. Press again over 1/2”. Machine sew along edge of each folded edge making elastic casing. (Note: Leave 1” opening in each casing.) Measure waist and thighs of baby; cut elastic pieces to measured lengths. Pin safety pin to end of each elastic piece. Push safety pin through casing and out other opening. Machine sew elastic ends together. Repeat with other casing.
- 7. Use needle and thread to sew buttons onto seams on sides.
by April Moffatt