Summer Winds Baby Quilt
size: 40" square
- Fabric, 5” squares: six pastel-print, 10 bold-print ; 1/3 yd. white cotton, 1/2 yd. pink floral, 1/2 yd. pink polka dot, 1 yd. pink stripe-print
- Backing fabric, 44” square
- Batting, 44” square
- Rotary cutter, ruler, and cutting mat
- Square rotary cutting ruler, 6-1/2”
- Sewing machine and thread
- 1. When instructed to cut a strip across WOF (width of fabric), cut strip from selvage to selvage (42-44”). All seam allowances are 1/4”.
- 1. Cut six pastel-print and six bold-print 5” squares; cut in half on diagonal creating two triangles per each square. Sew one pastel-print triangle and one bold-print triangle together creating square (Fig. 1). Press seams toward bold-print fabric. Use squaring ruler to trim square to 4-1/2”. Repeat process for all triangles. Trim remaining 5” squares to 4-1/2” squares. (see photos)
- 2. Sew three-pieced squares and one plain square together to form corner unit (Fig. 2). Repeat with remaining squares. (see photos)
- 3. Cut two white cotton fabric strips 4-1/2”xWOF. Cut one strip at 8-1/2” markings creating four rectangles.
- 4. Cut pink striped fabric into four 4-1/2”x8-1/2” rectangles. (Note: Make sure stripes are oriented in correct direction.) Cut remaining white cotton fabric into 4-1/2”xWOF strip; cut strip into eight 4-1/2” squares. Position one white square in corner of one striped rectangle. Draw diagonal line on white square (Fig. 3). Sew on line. Press seam toward corner. Trim away excess fabric in corner, leaving 1/4” seam allowance. Repeat with second side of rectangle. Repeat with remaining striped rectangles and white squares. (see photos)
- 5. Sew one striped triangle unit to each white rectangle (Fig. 4). Press seam toward white fabric. Cut one 8-1/2” floral fabric square (for center). (see photos)
- 6. Arrange corner units, striped triangle units, and center square as shown on Layout Diagram. Sew pieces together in rows; sew rows together to form quilt top.
- 7. Cut eight 2”xWOF polka dot fabric strips. Cut two strips to 24-1/2” lengths; sew strips on sides of quilt top. Cut two strips to 27-1/2” lengths; sew to remaining two sides of quilt top. Set other strips aside. Press all seams away from center.
- 8. Cut four 5-1/2”xWOF floral print strips. Cut two strips into 27-1/2” lengths; sew strips to two sides of quilt top. Cut two remaining strips into 37-1/2” lengths; sew to remaining two sides of quilt top.
- 9. Cut two 2”x37-1/2” polka dot strips; sew strips to two sides of quilt top. Cut remaining two strips into 2”x40-1/2” lengths; sew to remaining two sides of quilt
- 10. To finish, layer backing (wrong side up), batting, and quilt top (right side up) on work surface. Pin or baste. Quilt as desired.
- 11. Apply binding when finished. To make matching binding, cut four 2”xWOF strips from polka dot fabric. Sew together on short edges to make long strips. Align raw edges and press strips with wrong sides together. Align raw edge of binding to raw edge of quilt; sew, mitering binding at corners. Turn folded edge of binding to back of quilt. Hand or machine sew to secure.
by Holly Daniels