Nursery Room Fabric Bookshelf
Give little ones easy access to their books with customizable fabric bookshelves! As crawlers turn into walkers, the soft corners are toddler-friendly, too!
- Cotton fabric, 3/4 yd.
- Polyform Sculpey Ultralight Clay
- Wooden dowels, two 24” lengths
- Double-curtain rod hangers, two
- Pine board, 3”x24”
- Sewing machine and thread
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon paintbrushes: Oval Wash Brush Series 7600 1/2”, Aura Brush Series 7730 1/2”, Flora Brush Series 7930 #2, Round Brush Series 7000C #2, Sky Wash Brush Series 7750 1-1/2”
- Parchment-lined baking sheet, clay-dedicated rolling pin, and oven
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Paints: Calypso Blue, Baby Blue, Light Buttermilk, Baby Pink, Petal Pink, Warm White, Foliage Green; Duraclear Gloss Varnish
- Aleene’s Fabric Fusion
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- 1. Bookshelf is 24”x14”.
- Fabric Bookshelf
- 1. Mix (1:1:2) mixture Calypso Blue and Baby Blue and Light Buttermilk for turquoise color. Paint sides of pine board and both dowels turquoise mixture using sky wash brush. Repeat with second coat on both pieces. Let dry. When board is dry, screw double curtain rods into board aligning at edges.
- 2. Cut 24”x28” rectangle from cotton fabric. Press 28” sides over 1/2” and 1/2” again. Use fabric glue to glue seam under. Let dry. Press one 24” side over 1/2” and 2-1/2” again; machine sew along edge. Repeat with other 24” side.
- 3. Make finials by rolling 1” log of ultralight clay; use craft knife to cut four 2”-long pieces. With hands, roll each piece into ball. Take end of dowel and press into one end of each ball, indenting about 1/4”. Bake clay finials on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven following manufacturer’s instructions. Let cool.
- 4. Paint finials (1:1:2) turquoise mixture using oval wash brush. Let dry. Repeat with second coat. Let dry. Paint flower petal base Petal Pink using flora brush. Let dry. Paint smaller petals Baby Pink using flora brush. Paint flower center Warm White using round brush. Let dry. Dot around flower centers Foliage Green using round brush. Let dry. Apply gloss varnish on finials using aura brush. Let dry.
- 5. To assemble, slide each dowel through double curtain rod and fabric casing. Hot glue finials on each dowel end.
by April Moffatt