Monogram Garden Flag
- Canvas Home Basics Fabric Packaged Canvas, 30”x36”
- Round wooden dowel, 1”-wide: 18-1/2” length
- Hemp or jute twine, 30” length
scissors, stencil brush, handsaw, iron, compass with pencil and string, pencil, paintbrushes, sanding block
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Sewing machine and thread
- Computer, word-processing software, heavy printer paper, printer
- Crafter’s Workshop Stencils: Botanicals, Mini Botanicals
- Jacquard Products Lumiere Paints: Citrine, Neopaque Black
- Aleene’s Liquid Fusion
- 1. Using rotary cutter and cutting mat, cut canvas sheet to 18”x16”. Use compass and string to draw slight angle on short edge of cut canvas. Sew and press seams, using 1/2” seam allowance. Sew 1”-wide pocket at top of canvas (for insertion of dowel).
- 2. Using computer and software, create 5” monogram using Microsoft WordArt or other graphic software. Print out monogram onto heavy printer paper. Cut out monogram with scissors; use pencil to trace monogram onto center of canvas.
- 3. Use paintbrush and Neopaque Black to color in monogram. Use stencils and stencil brush to botanical motifs with Citrine on remaining areas of flag. Use paintbrush to drybrush Citrine on center of monogram. Let dry.
- 4. Use handsaw and cutting surface to cut dowel to 18-1/2” length. Sand dowel, including cut end; paint Neopaque Black. When dry, insert dowel into sewn pocket. Wrap ends of hemp around dowel; knot ends to secure for hanger.
by Melony Bradley