Sweet Life Butterflies Organizer
Banish the clutter by creating this charming organizer to handle your storage nightmares.
- 6-drawer Organizer, 12-1/2”x13”
- Assorted decorative papers, 12” square, four sheets
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Gooseberry Pink, Green Mist, Sable Brown, Sand, Violet Haze
- Plaid Mod Podge
- Loew-Cornell Paintbrushes: Shader, Series 7300, #10, #16; Liner, Series 3350, #1; Round Stroke, Series 7040, #6; Dagger, Series 7800, 1”
- Loew-Cornell Spongit: 1/2”, 3/4”
- Craft knife and cutting mat
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- 1. Arrange papers on organizer as desired; lightly mark placement with pencil. Remove drawers. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to découpage papers to organizer frame. Stack drawers as placed in cabinet, leaving 1/4” space. Découpage papers to each side. When dry, use craft knife to carefully cut drawers apart. Sand edges.
- 2. Print and cut out patterns on the last page; transfer designs. Paint non-papered areas one coat Sable Brown, Green Mist, or Gooseberry Pink. Use Spongit to add Gooseberry Pink and Green Mist dots to Sable Brown areas. Use #10 shader to paint Sable Brown diamonds on Gooseberry Pink areas. Use liner to paint Sand swirls on Green Mist areas.
- 3. Basecoat any butterfly designs on papered areas with Sable Brown. Use worksheet as stroke painting guide. Paint the following: (see photos)
- Small Butterfly
- 1. Body: Gooseberry Pink; highlight with mix of Gooseberry Pink with Sand.
- 2. Antennae: Violet Haze; highlight with mix of Violet Haze with Sand.
- 3. Wings: Load dagger with Green Mist, then tip into Sable Brown; blend on palette. Stroke top and bottom wings next to body on each side. Use #6 round stroke and Green Mist for remaining comma strokes, starting from outer edges toward body. Highlight on widest part of stroke by floating mix of Green Mist with Sand.
- Medium Butterfly
- 1. Body: Violet Haze; highlight with mix of Violet Haze with Sand.
- 2. Antennae: Green Mist; highlight with mix of Green Mist with Sand.
- 3. Wings: Load dagger with Gooseberry Pink, then tip into Sable Brown; stroke top and bottom wing centers by pulling from tip to tip. Fill in wings with Gooseberry Pink comma strokes. Highlight outer strokes with mix of Gooseberry Pink with Sand.
- Large Butterfly
- 1. Body: Green Mist; highlight with mix of Green Mist with Sand.
- 2. Antennae: Gooseberry Pink; highlight with mix of Gooseberry Pink with Sand.
- 3. Wings: Violet Haze.
- 4. Upper wings: Add Gooseberry Pink dots, Green Mist squiggle, and larger Gooseberry Pink dot. Line squiggle with mix of Green Mist with Sand. Paint comma strokes Sable Brown; highlight widest part with mix of Sand with Violet Haze.
- 5. Lower wings: Load dagger brush with Violet Haze, then tip into Sable Brown; paint with center stroke, then paint remaining strokes.
- 1. Use liner to outline all wings with Sand. Break up design with dots or squares, then stroke on long curve shapes.
- 2. When dry, apply several coats Mod Podge.
by Kelly Hoernig