Set Ruff on your front step, your porch, or in your garden - he'll make the friendliest greeter!
- Clay pots: 3-3/4”x4-1/2”, four; 6-1/2” diameter, one; 8-1/2” diameter, one
- DecoArt Americana, Dazzling Metallics Acrylic Shimmering Silver paint
- DecoArt Indoor/Outdoor Patio Paints: Pinecone Brown, Daisy Cream, Wrought Iron Black, Cloud White
- Dark brown craft foam, 3mm thick, 8-1/2”x11” sheets, two
- Black satin ribbon, 1-1/2”-wide, 22 inches
- Flat wooden disk, 1/16” thick, 1” diameter
- Natural fiber hair, 12 inches
scissors, ruler, pencil with new eraser, toothpick, paper plate, paper towels, bowl with water
- Paintbrushes: 1” foam, #4 shader
- Sea sponge
- Transfer paper
- Eclectic Products E6000 Industrial-Strength Adhesive
- 1. Paint outside surfaces of the pots. If project will be used outside, basecoat inside of pots to prevent water damage. Use photo as painting, drawing and assembly guide.
- Prepare and paint the pots
- 1. Turn pots upside down on work surface. Use foam brush to basecoat pots Cloud White. Sponge paint pots Pinecone Brown. Repeat sponge painting. Mix one part Daisy Cream with two parts Pinecone Brown; sponge paint pots.
- 2. Using Daisy Cream, sponge paint the following: for face, a 3-1/2”x5” oval, just above rim on 6-1/2” pot; for belly, a 3”-wide section down center front of 8-1/2” pot, starting at top of body and ending just above rim.
- 3. Print and cut pattern, cutting along dashed lines for face. Use tail and ear patterns to cut materials as indicated. Set ears and face aside. Transfer face to head. Using shader brush and Wrought Iron Black, paint nose; use pencil eraser to paint black dots for eyes. Using toothpick and Cloud White, paint highlight dots at center top edge of each eye and highlight streak at center top of nose.
- 4. Use marker to draw the following: eyebrows; muzzle line; freckle dots; wavy/broken outline around face, except bottom, and around belly; toe lines on 3-3/4”x4-1/2” pots.
- Assemble the dog
- 1. Using marker, draw a wavy/broken outline around one side of each ear and around each side of tail.
- 2. Cut hair in half; stack hair so ends are even. Insert one end of hair into hole at top of head. Glue hair to inside of pot to secure; let dry.
- 3. Glue ears to top of head on each side of hair, so ears fall to each side of face.
- 4. Place head on top of body. (Note: Head may be glued to body if desired.) Place feet on flat work surface, side by side with toes facing forward, forming a square. Place body on top of feet.
- 5. Glue tail to center back bottom of body so tail is to one side of body.
- 1. For dog tag, paint wooden disc Shimmering Silver. Use marker to draw dashed outline around tag and to write name. For collar, glue ribbon around bottom of head, overlapping edges at back. Quick Tip: For collar, paint rim of head Wrought Iron Black, instead of using ribbon. Glue tag to center front of collar, 5/8” from top edge.
by Barbara Matthiessen