Holiday Apron Towel
- Holiday dishtowel
- Fabrics: green print (block, ties, backing), 1/3 yd.; scraps: red print (center block); red/green print (corner squares); green print (tree); brown print (tree stump)
- Cotton Batting (The Warm Co.)
- Red heart button (JHB International), 1/2”
- All-purpose Thread to match prints (Coats & Clark)
- Monofiliment or invisible thread (Coats & Clark)
- Steam-a-Seam (The Warm Co.)
- KK2000 Temporary Adhesive Spray (Sulky)
- Fray Check (Dritz)
- Sewing machine with darning foot, appliqué foot and 1/4” quilting foot
- Sewing needle
- Straight pins
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. Use a 1/4” quilting foot for all seams. Read instructions before beginning project for best results.
- Cutting Instructions
- 1. Cut: 4” square from red print (center); four 1/2”x4” rectangles (block), two 1-1/2”x10” strips (ties) and 6” square (backing) from green print; four 1-1/2” squares (block) from red/green print.
- Make the Block
- 1. (Note: Refer to Figs. 1-3 to construct block.) Sew a green rectangle to both sides of the center square. Press toward the green.
- 2. Sew a red/green 1-1/2” square to both ends of the two remaining green rectangles. Press toward the green. (Note: Be careful not to stretch the fabrics.)
- 3. 3 Sew the rectangle units in Step 2 to the unit in Step 1. Press toward the center.
- Applique the Tree
- 1. Print out pattern. Transfer tree and stump patterns onto Steam-a-Seam. Cut patterns just outside of the line. Iron to the wrong side of the tree and stump fabrics; cut out. Press stump just underneath the tree, on the center block, using photo as placement guide.
- 2. With a small zigzag and matching threads, sew around the stump. With matching thread, sew a zigzag around the tree. (Note: Use a piece of paper underneath stitching for stabilizer. Tear away paper when finished.)
- Quilt the Block
- 1. Cut a piece of cotton batting 2” larger on all sides of block.
- 2. With the temporary spray adhesive, spray the batting. Lay the block on top of the batting.
- 3. With the darning foot, invisible thread and the feed dogs lowered, machine quilt the block in a loopy pattern. Trim off excess batting to measure 6” square. Set aside.
- Make the Ties
- 1. Press under 1/4” on both lengthwise sides of the tie pieces. Press in half.
- 2. With matching thread, topstitch close to edges.
- 3. Seal ends with Fray Check.
- 4. Pin and sew ties, right sides together, to the top of the block. See photo for placement. (Note: Backstitch over ties while sewing to strengthen.)
- Attaching the Ties
- 1. Cut towel to 16” long. Make two rows of gathering stitches at raw edge.
- 2. Gather towel to measure across the block. Pin towel to block, with right sides together, leaving 1/4” on each end for a seam. See photo.
- 3. Sew across and backstitch at each end. Remove pins as you sew. (Note: Carefully remove gathering stitches if they show on front side, if needed.)
- Add the Backing
- 1. Press under 1/4” on one side of 6” square backing.
- 2. Pin and sew backing, right sides together, to block. Make sure ties are out of the way. See photo.
- 3. Trim corners prior to turning right side out. Press edges lightly.
- 4. Hand sew opening closed.
- 5. Sew red heart button to tree.
by Denise Clason