- Sculpey Oven Bake Polymer Clay*: BluePearl; Green Pearl; Red Pearl; Gold; Light Blue Pearl; White Pearl
- CRYSTALLIZED Elements (Swarovski): red; green; clear
- Gold wire, 20-gauge
- Gold ornament thread
- Black glass teardrop beads (eyes)
- Studio Sculpey*: Glossy Glaze; Extruding Tool; Clay Machine or Acrylic Roller
- Craft knife
- Optional: Clay Punches (Kemper)
- Toothpick or small tool with point
- *Products by Polyform Products
- 1. Choose clay color for body and other color for wings and tail. For body, use half of a 2 ounce brick of clay. Knead until soft and shape into a simple bird shape with a pointed bead and pointed tail. For eyes, make two tiny balls of clay in accent color and press to face. Press black teardrop bead into eye balls as shown. (Note: Use black clay balls for pupils instead of beads, if desired.) For hanger, make a small wire loop, twist ends and insert into top of bird. Insert wire hanger just behind bird’s neck so it hangs evenly.
- 2. For wings, use 1/4 of a 2 ounce brick of coordinating clay. Knead until soft. Run clay through pasta machine on thickest setting or use acrylic roller to roll clay out to 1/8” thickness. Print pattern. Cut tail and two wings from clay. Smooth edges. Lay shapes on wax paper or non-stick surface. Make sure wings are identical, mirror images.
- 3. Condition Gold clay and run through extruder, using medium-sized single round hole disk. Extrude a 10” length from clay and wrap each wing. Press lightly along edges without flattening snake. Wrap tail, leaving V-shape at base of tail without the Gold where it attaches to bird. Decorate wings and tail as desired. For embellishments, use crystals, clay punches and/or craft knife to add designs. Press wings onto bird’s body. Line V of tail with bird’s pointy tail and gently press together.
- 4. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake clay birds. Once cool, apply Gloss Glaze. Attach gold thread hanger as shown.
by Phoebe Doehring for Polyform Products