Bunnies & Birch Trees Carriage Clock
- JB Wood Products Carriage Clock (90070)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Cool White, French Mauve, Graphite, Grey Sky, Titanium White, Uniform Blue, Warm White, Winter Blue
stylus, sandpaper, tracing paper, graphite paper, painters tape, old toothbrush
- Loew-Cornell: La Corneille Brushes: Series 7550 Glaze/Wash 1”; Series 7200 Fan #2; Series 7350 Liner 10/0; Series 7300 Shader #4, 8, 12; Series 8400 Angular Shader 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”; Series 7000 Round #1; Specialty Brushes: Series 275 Oval Mop 1/2”; Series 246 Rake Fan #1
- DecoArt: Multi-Purpose Sealer, Americana Acrylic Matte Sealer/Finisher
- 1. Use water to thin paint where sheer paint is called for. Use appropriate-size shaders to basecoat. Use appropriate-size angular shaders to float shading.
- 1. Seal clock with multi-purpose sealer. When dry, lightly sand. Basecoat all surfaces Titanium White; let dry.
- 2. Basecoat design area, top of clock, and top area of platform (1:1) mixture of Winter Blue + Titanium White using wash brush. Use #2 fan brush and thinned Titanium White to stroke horizontal frost effect across design area. Lightly transfer snowdrifts and gross outlines of tree and bunnies. Make tracing of details on tracing paper and set aside.
- 3. Basecoat trees Cool White until opaque. Add tiny touch of Uniform Blue to last coat. Rake horizontal texture on bark with ultra sheer Uniform Blue using rake fan. Begin stroking from outer edges of trunks and feather strokes lightly toward center into slight upward curve. See Worksheet. Add knots and scars on trunks with (1:1) mixture Uniform Blue + Graphite using round brush. Use touch of thinned Graphite to deepen area inside of knots. Use sheer Uniform Blue to float vertical shading on edges of trunks and to separate overlapping trees. Paint branches (1:1) mixture slightly thinned Graphite + Uniform Blue using liner brush. See Worksheet. Load rake fan with Warm White and stand on chisel edge in center of trunks. Pull rake to one side feathering highlight toward shaded area of trunk. Repeat feathering highlight on other side of each trunk. For thin trees tap highlight down center and pull very short strokes where possible. Add snow on branches using liner brush and Cool White. See Worksheet. Use liner and thinned Graphite + touch Grey Sky to paint carved heart and initials, name, or date of your choice.
- 4. Side-load appropriate-size angular shaders with heavy Cool White to highlight snowdrifts. Float shading Winter Blue.
- 5. Basecoat bunnies Warm White until opaque. Lightly transfer details. Apply Warm White to one area at a time using #1 round. Blend shading wet on wet using dirty brush and touch of Grey Sky and referring to pattern for shading placement. Continue until all areas have been shaded. Under-paint noses and inner ear on front bunny Grey Sky. When dry, apply small amount of thinned French Mauve over top. Define edges here and there and paint eyes Graphite using liner. Float shading on snow under bunnies mixture of Winter Blue + touch Uniform Blue.
- 6. Use painter’s tape to tape off horizontal pinstripes on top of clock. Basecoat between taped line Uniform Blue. Remove tape while paint is still wet. Use the chisel edge of damp shader to clean up any paint that might bleed under tape. Dry thoroughly. Repeat stripes in opposite direction.
- 7. Spatter snow on design area and blue parts of frame Cool White thinned to heavy cream consistency using toothbrush or spatter tool.
- 8. Spray clock with light coats sealer. Follow clock works directions to install clock mechanism.
by Linda Hollander