Spring Blossoms and Bunnies Sachet
- Wool felt: white, 8” square; green scraps (for leaves).
- Cotton lavender print scraps: floral (for small flower and inner ear), lavender gingham (for cheek).
- Cotton embroidery floss (DMC®): Blanc (white), Lavender (#208), Green (#3052).
- Lavender buttons, 1/4”, two.
- Ribbon: lavender polka dotted, 1/8”-wide, 10” length; lavender, 1/4”-wide, 8” length.
- Lavender rosebud, 3/4”.
- Lavender silk ribbon flower, 3/4”.
- Fiberfill stuffing.
- HeatnBond® Lite lightweight paper-backed fusible web (Therm O Web).
- Disappearing marking pen.
- Quilter’s basting spray.
- Sewing machine and matching thread.
- Needles: sewing, embroidery.
- Iron and ironing board.
- 1. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse iron-on adhesive, paper side up, onto wrong side of lavender scrap pieces.
- 2. Print out pattern. Cut two bunny, two tails, and one flower center from white felt; cut three leaves from green felt. Cut flower and inner ear from lavender floral prints and cheek from gingham scrap.
- 3. Fuse cheek and inner ear piece onto one bunny piece. Baste three leaves on bunny and fuse flower over leaves. Baste flower center on flower.
- 4. Use white floss to blanket stitch around flower. Use green floss to blanket stitch around inner ear and cheek. Use green floss to straight stitch around flower center and white floss around leaves. Add two white running stitches in center of each leaf.
- 5. Sew button eye and flower center button in place. Tie ribbon into bow and stitch to bunny’s neck; stitch rosebud onto center of bow.
- 6. With wrong sides facing and edges aligned, pin bunnies pieces together. Base ends of 1/4”-wide ribbon to top center of bunny between layers for hanger.
- 7. Use lavender floss to blanket stitch around bunny catching ribbon hanger at top, and leaving opening at bottom to stuff.
- 8. Insert stuffing and blanket stitch opening closed. (Optional: Insert some lavender potpourri if desired.)
- 9. In same manner as bunny, align tail pieces, stitch, and stuff. Stitch tail onto bunny.
- 10. Tie ribbon into bow and stitch to bunny’s neck; stitch rosebud onto center of bow. Stitch remaining flower to bottom of ribbon hanger.
- 1. Use two strands embroidery floss for all stitches unless otherwise noted.
- 2. Dotted lines on patterns indicate overlap of fabric pieces; use lines as guide when basting fabric motifs.
- 3. To save time, machine stitch felt and fabric appliqués using a zigzag or decorative stitch instead of hand embroidery.
by Susan Cousineau