Birds of a Feather Card & Brooch
size: card, 4-3/4"x6-1/2"; brooch, 1-1/2" tall
- Cardstock (Stampin' Up!®): Riding Hood Red; Kiwi Kiss; Chocolate Chip; Basic Black.
- Watercolor paper.
- Origins Collection papers (BasicGrey): Sea Salt; Henna.
- Antique gold metal findings: fancy jewelry bezel (Scarlet Lime Bead Art); Tim Holtz™ idea-ology swivel chain (Stampers Anonymous); pin back.
- Bronze mini screw-head brad.
- Stamp sets (Artistic Outpost): Birds of a Feather; Generation Redux.
- Ink pads: Soft Suede pigment (Stampin' Up!®); Archival™ Jet Black, Tim Holtz™ Distress Inks™ in Barn Red and Crushed Olive (Ranger®).
- Blush pink marker.
- Tim Holtz™ Ink Blending Tool (Ranger®).
- Foam sponge or dauber.
- Sizzix® Bigz Tim Holtz® Alterations Caged Bird die (Ellison®).
- Sizzix® Cheetah embossing folder (Ellison®).
- Sizzix® Big Shot™ die-cutting system (Ellison®).
- Stamp-A-Ma-Jig stamp positioner (EK Success).
- Paper distressing tool.
- Paper piercer (for inserting brad).
- Eclipse Masking Tape (JudiKins).
- Adhesive dots: foam; clear mini; metal glue.
- Ice Resin® Crystal Clear Resin (Ice Resin)
- 1. Make red side-fold card. Cut Sea Salt paper 1/4” smaller all around; use ink blending tool to add touches of Soft Suede ink to paper for aged look. Mat paper on black cardstock; adhere to card front.
- 2. Die cut bird cage from Henna paper; slightly distress edges. Die cut bird from green cardstock and perch from brown cardstock. Emboss bird and perch pieces with embossing folder. Highlight embossed areas with Soft Suede ink.
- 3. Insert mini brad for bird's eye. Adhere bird and perch to patterned paper on angle; do not adhere wing. Fasten swivel chain to top of birdcage and adhere cage over shapes. Adhere wing, allowing it to rest on cage bars.
- 4. Stamp black sentiment on card front. Adhere chain to background above sentiment using mini adhesive dots.
- 5. Stamp Jet Black girls image onto watercolor paper; mask girls with Eclipse tape. Stamp Generation Redux funky dots over masked girls to create background. Remove mask and trim to desired size.
- 6. Watercolor images using Distress Inks™ and waterbrush. Color faces and hands with blush marker. Use foam blending tool to ink remaining areas Soft Suede.
- 7. Mat stamped panel on black cardstock; distress cardstock edges. Adhere panel to card with foam dots.
- 1. Stamp Jet Black girls image on water color paper; color in same way as card. Trace bezel opening onto scrap card stock to use as pattern; cut out image.
- 2. Adhere image to bezel with dab of Ice Resin. Once in place, fill bezel with resin following manufacturer's instructions. Let dry. Adhere pin back with metal glue.
by Lisa Somerville for Artistic Outpost