Nature Study Display Jar
- Glass canning jar, 5” tall
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam Balls: 1-1/2”, two; 1”
- Acrylic paints: red; black; white
- StarLite Varnish (DecoArt)
- Creative Paperclay air-dry modeling compound (Creative Paperclay Co.), tiny amount
- Green moss
- Small butterfly stickers
- Blue head straight pin
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Round toothpicks
- Flat paintbrush, 1/2”
- Craft knife
- Hold the Foam! Glue (Beacon Adhesives)
- 1. For mushroom cap, use craft knife to cut 1-1/2” ball in half. Use thumb to press center of flat portion of ball. For mushroom stem, press remaining ball half into triangular log shape. Attach mushroom cap to stem with toothpick and secure with glue.
- 2. Apply one coat of gesso to mushroom. Let dry.
- 3. Paint top of mushroom red and stem white. Let dry.
- 4. Paint white dots on mushroom cap. Let dry.
- 5. Apply varnish to mushroom.
- 6. Use craft knife to cut 1” ball in half.
- 7. Roll pea-size ball from Paperclay. Let dry.
- 8. Glue Paperclay ball to 1” ball half.
- 9. For ladybug, paint 1” ball half with one coat of gesso. Let dry. Paint ball red, let dry and dot with pencil dipped in black paint. Paint head black.
- 10. Use tongs to insert and glue mushroom and ladybug to bottom of glass jar.
- 11. Place moss around mushroom and ladybug on bottom of jar.
- 12. Adhere butterfly to mushroom and secure with straight pin.
- 13. Place butterflies on bottom of jar amongst moss. Replace jar lid.
by Rebakah Meier for Dow Chemical Co