- Recycled baby food jar
- Sculpey items (Polyform Products): Oven Bake Clay: Red; Blue Pearl; Light Blue Pearl; Pearl White; Liquid Sculpey; Glaze (optional)
- CRYSTALLIZED Clear Flat Back Crystal Rhinestones (Swarovski): seven
- Sculpey Clay Machine, clay-dedicated pasta machine or acrylic brayer
- Small star template or punch
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- 1. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to condition a quarter size ball of each clay color. Roll two 1/4”-thick, 6”-long snakes from each color for a total of eight snakes.
- 2. Lay snakes out in alternating colors of red, white, blue and light blue and repeat on work surface. Lightly press snakes together. Place length of stuck together snakes through pasta machine on thickest setting. Fold clay in half from bottom to top and run through machine again. Repeat until desired blended striping effect is achieved. Turn clay sheet horizontal and change clay machine setting to next thickest setting and run it through once to widen stripes a bit and create a thinner sheet. (Note: This process may also be done with a brayer instead of a pasta machine, if desired.)
- 3. Apply a light coat of Liquid Sculpey to jar before applying clay. Place sheet of clay down and place jar sideways onto it. Cut clay to fit bottle, leaving extra to wrap over lid and down over bottom of jar. If two sheets are needed to cover jar, be sure to press seams together. Press clay onto jar, working from center out to remove any air bubbles. Gently wrap clay over top of jar and work it around until smooth.
- 4. Make a cardstock template of a star. Run Light Blue Pearl clay through pasta machine on thickest setting. Use craft knife and template to cut stars from clay sheet. Gently press crystal into star centers and use craft knife to indent lines for each point. Apply a tiny bit of Liquid Sculpey to adhere stars to jar.
- 5. Bake clay items at 275°F for 15 minutes. When jar is cool, apply Sculpey Glaze, if desired.
by Phoebe Doehring for Polyform Products