Vintage Chalkboard Savings Bank
- KraftyBlok Original (Diamond Tech), 7-1/2”x7-1/2”
- Large KraftyBlok Stand (Diamond Tech)
- Decorative wooden appliqué
- Wooden trim
- Chalkboard spray paint
- White acrylic paint
- Chalk and chalkboard eraser
- Masking tape
- E6000 Industrial-Strength Adhesive (Eclectic Products)
- Scroll saw
- 1. Remove labels from KraftyBlok and clean glass; let dry.
- 2. Cover work surface with newspaper. Place KraftyBlok on work surface with 7-1/2”x7-1/2” side facing up.
- 3. Mask off a 7”x7” area on block surface.
- 4. Follow manufacturer's instructions to spray square with chalkboard paint. Let dry.
- 5. While paint is drying, use saw to cut four 7-1/4” lengths from wood trim. Miter ends of each piece to 45° angles. (Note: Use a miter box for this step, if possible.)
- 6. Spray paint wooden trim, applique and KraftyBlok white. Let dry.
- 7. When dry, lightly sand paint for a distressed look.
- 8. Use damp paper towel to remove dust.
- 9. Remove masking tape from KraftyBlok. Glue frame trim to KraftyBlok as shown.
- 10. Glue appliqué to top of KraftyBlok.
- 11. Remove stopper from KraftyBlok, using craft knife to cut rectangle into top of inserting coins and replace stopper.
- 12. Place bank on stand and use chalk to write savings goals on front of block.
- 1. Instead of vintage embellishments, adhere other items such as acrylic gems, silk flowers or chipboard accents to the chalkboard frame.
- 2. Visit www.diamondtechcrafts.com for more KraftyBlok inspiration.
by Rita Schwab for Diamond Tech