- Small floral motif from vintage embroidered doily
- Coordinating delica beads, two colors
- Black velvet ribbon, 3/8”-wide, 25” length
- Jewelry finding ribbon clamps, 3/8”, two
- Spring ring clasp, 7mm
- Jump rings, two: 4mm; 6mm
- Pewter Pendant Tray (Amate Studios), 38mm x 38mm
- Silamide (color of background fabric) (YLI), Size A
- Poly-Fil Traditional Batting (Fairfield), 1-3/8” square
- Thin cardboard, 1-3/8” square
- Beading needle, #10
- Double-sided tape
- Quilter’s Tape (Dritz), 1/4”
- Needle and light colored sewing thread
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- Optional: Fray Check (Dritz)
- Round needle-nose pliers
- Straight pins
- 1. Select a motif from vintage embroidery to fit center of pendant. Cut out 2-1/2”x2-1/2” area of vintage work with motif centered. (Note: If using a different sized pendant, adjust motif size accordingly.)
- 2. Tape edges of fabric with quilter's tape.
- 3. Center 1-1/2” square of traditional batting on back of motif, making sure it is centered under motif. Use light colored basting thread to baste square in place.
- 4. Use two strands of Silamide and beading needle to attach one color of beads randomly around vintage motif. To begin, anchor knotted thread under embroidery work catching back of embroidery to be sure thread doesn't slip out of fragile fabric. If possible, end thread in area using three small stitches on top of each other. Tie off thread. Remove basting thread.
- 5. Trim away 1/8” of quilter's tape, leaving 1/8” along outer edge of fabric. Place a small piece of double-sided tape in center back of batting. Center cardboard on back of batting and press cardboard against the batting so double-sided tape holds it in place. Work from backside to miter the corners. Fold corners of fabric over the cardboard corners to the backside, and tape fabric to cardboard using quilter's tape. Pull sides of fabric to back keeping fabric smooth where it folds at corners, and tape in place. Make sure fabric is smoothly finished along edges without any wrinkles. Remove tape one pieces at a time and glue fabric to cardboard.
- 6. Use second color of beads and 3-yard length of Silamide doubles (two strands) to work the bead row stitch (Fig. 1), around the edge of the square. When working the bead row, pull the thread snug and keep beads as straight as possible. Do not stitch through the cardboard. When bead row is complete, glue beaded square in pendant tray. Place a very small dot of glue in center of tray and use toothpick to spread glue. Press square inside pendant. Let dry.
- 7. Embellish ribbon with a tiny motif if vintage embroidery has one that is less than 1/8”. Cut out the tiny motif and place it on a piece of wax paper. Apply Fray Check along edges of motif and let dry. Trim any loose threads around motif. If not using motif, use three beads close together in center of top ribbon.
- 8. Open 4mm jump ring and join to spring ring clasp. (Note: Open jump rings by bending ends in opposite directions. Use pliers to carefully move jump ring back in place.) Close jump ring. Open 6mm jump ring and attach to ribbon clamp. Join 6mm to 4mm jump ring. Close 6mm jump ring. Slide one ribbon end into ribbon clamp; use pliers to close clamp over ribbon. Repeat for opposite ribbon end.
by Linda Wyszynski