Cigar Box Desk Set
- Reclaimed items: cigar box; cardboard jewelry containers
- Brown cardstock
- Patterned papers: brown embossed; blue grid
- Jute twine: thin cording; 1”-wide trim
- Prima Marketing embossed chipboard stencil letter
- Walnut Hollow Aluminum Sheet Metal
- Hewlett Packard Premium Matte Photo Paper
sponge brush, scissors, ruler, newspaper (to cover work surface), paper trimmer
- Clearsnap ColorBox Fluid Chalk Ink Pads: Creamy Brown, Chestnut Roan
- DecoArt Americana: Butter Acrylic Paint, Matte Spray Sealer
- Drill with 1/4” bit
- Hole punch, 1/4”
- Computer, photo editing software, and printer or calendar stamp set
- Digital craft items: Jessica Sprague Strawberry Lemonade Yellow Solid digital patterned paper, Katie Pertiet Hemp Tie digital jute cording
- Quick-drying craft glue
- 1. On covered work surface, basecoat entire cigar box Butter. Let dry. Apply sealer. Let dry. Drill two holes in box lid approximately 1-1/2” from front edge, 3” apart. Cover outside of lid with brown embossed paper and inside of lid with blue grid paper. Cut holes in paper to access holes in box lid.
- 2. Ink edges of jewelry containers with Chestnut Roan. Cover inside and outside of boxes with brown embossed paper. Cut 5” square from blue grid paper and adhere to top right corner of cigar box base. Attach jewelry boxes to base of cigar box to form compartments.
- 3. Use Creamy Brown ink pad to color embossed stencil letter. Ink edges Chestnut Roan. Trim metal sheet to fit back of stencil letter and adhere both layers to cigar box base.
- 4. Use photo editing program to create calendar page for each month on digital patterned paper, adding month name in text box on left side and digital jute cord at top. Print each calendar page (or develop photos) at 3”x4” onto matte photo paper. (Alternatively, stamp calendars on yellow cardstock.)
- 5. Cut twelve 4”x4-1/2” rectangles from brown cardstock and mat calendar pages to rectangles, leaving extra cardstock at top. Punch 1/4” holes in cardstock to match holes drilled in cigar box lid.
- 6. Insert screw posts through holes in lid to attach calendar pages to lid and screw in threaded tops to secure.
- 7. Print additional sheet of digital paper (or use yellow cardstock). Trim to size and attach to inside bottom of desk supply compartments.
- 8. Adhere jute cording around inside of lid and 1”-wide jute trim around outside of cigar box base.
- 1. Design desk set to tailor to Dad’s office or home office color palette. Switch up pattern papers and cardstock colors for a truly personalized gift.
by Carla Schauer