Melissa's Old Fashioned Ribbon Cupcake
size: 2-1/2" diameter
- Dow STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam Ball, 2-1/2”
- Wilton Black Ruffled Baking Cups, two
- Cardstock: black, white
- Morex Corp. Cream Ruffled Ribbon, 1 yd.
- Cream grosgrain ribbon, 5/8”, 1-2/3 yds.
- Cream rick rack, 1/3 yd.
- Cream buttons, nine
- Straight pins: black, white ball-head, pearl ball-head
- Pearl hat pin
- Paper adhesive
scissors, ruler, computer and printer or black pen
- 1. Cut ruffled ribbon into 3” lengths; set aside.
- 2. Cut two 6” lengths and twelve 1” lengths from grosgrain ribbon. Cut remaining ribbon into 3” lengths; set aside.
- 3. Pick a starting point on foam ball and secure straight pin as place holder. This will be center top of cupcake.
- 4. Wrap and pin 6” grosgrain ribbon lengths around ball, dividing it into lengthwise quarters. Ribbons should intersect over place holder pin. Remove place holder pin.
- 5. Using 3” grosgrain ribbon lengths, cover top half of ball, placing ribbons vertically and side by side; ribbons will overlap slightly. Secure both ends with straight pins.
- 6. Cut rick rack into four 3” lengths. Pin rick rack over ribbon at four opposite points.
- 7. To create “frosting” ruffle, fold ends of each ruffled ribbon length inward, then in half lengthwise. Fold again vertically and attach to ball with straight pin over grosgrain ribbon ends. Continue around entire ball.
- 8. For cupcake topper, fold 1” grosgrain ribbon lengths in same way as ruffled ribbons in Step 7; pin to cupcake with pearl pins. Pin buttons to cupcake with white pins.
- 9. Place completed cupcake inside cupcake holder, with ruffled edge outside paper. Gently secure paper to foam with black pins.
- 10. Print or write “You’re Sweet” on white cardstock; trim and mat on black cardstock. Pin to cupcake with hat pin.
by Melissa Bickle for Ribbon Ring