Inspirational Garden Stakes
- Plaques with Stakes (Coyote Woodworks), three
- Americana Acrylic Paints (DecoArt): Lamp Black; Rookwood Red; Bleached Sand; Antique Green; Antique White; Plantation Pine; Dark Burgundy; Antique Gold Deep; Traditional Burnt Umber; Tomato Red
- Sealers (DecoArt): Multi-Purpose; Americana Matte Spray
- Satin Varnish (DecoArt)
- Aqualon Paintbrushes (Royal & Langnickel): Wash, Series 2700, 3/4"; Shader, Series 2150, #12; Angular, Series 2160, 3/8”, 1/2”; 3/4”; Liner, Series 2595, #1; Script, Series 2585, #0; Dagger Striper, Series RG190, 3/8”; Round Scrubber, Series 395, #10
- Wood glue
- Paint applicators (Royal & Langnickel): Sea Wool Sponge, Series 2006; Double Stylus; Foam Brush, 1”
- White transfer paper
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- 1. Glue stakes to backs of plaques. Let dry. Use wash brush to apply Multi-Purpose Sealer to all items. Let dry. Use wash brush to basecoat items Lamp Black; let dry. Sand items and wipe dust. Basecoat again. Use sea wool sponge to lightly apply Rookwood Red to front of each plaque. Let dry.
- 2. Print out pattern. Use small end of stylus and white transfer paper to lightly transfer main pattern lines to plaques. Use wash brush to paint bottom border section of each piece Antique White. Let dry and transfer check pattern. Use #12 flat shader to paint every other check Rookwood Red.
- 3. For lettering and swirls, use #1 liner and slightly thinned Bleached Sand to paint lettering on each plaque. Use #0 script liner and slightly thinned Antique Green to paint base color of each swirl.
- 4. For apple, use #12 flat shader to paint Deep Burgundy. Shade bottom edges and left side of apple, using 3/4” angular and Traditional Burnt Umber tipped lightly in Lamp Black. Use scrubber to lightly dry brush a highlight across top section of apple and fill out right bulge with Antique Gold Deep. Use 1/2” angular to float an additional highlight over stem indent and slightly around shape of apple, tapering as you come up left side. Use #1 liner and Traditional Burnt Umber tipped in Antique Gold Deep to paint stem. Paint apple leaf using dagger striper and Plantation Pine tipped in Antique Gold Deep. Use large end of stylus to randomly dot Bleached Sand around top area of apple.
- 5. For strawberry, use #12 flat shader to paint strawberry Tomato Red. Use sea wool sponge to lightly apply a color texture to front of berry with Deep Burgundy. Use 3/4” angular to shade bottom left side of berry with Deep Burgundy tipped in Traditional Burnt Umber. Let dry and apply a highlight on top right rounded section and bottom right area of berry using dry brush method in same way as apple, except using Bleached Sand. Paint berry seeds using #1 liner and slightly thinned Lamp Black. Highlight with tiny strokes of Bleached Sand. Use dagger striper and Plantation Pine tipped in Antique Gold Deep to paint leaves. Use large end of stylus to randomly dot Bleached Sand above and around the berry.
- 6. For pear, use #12 flat shader to paint pear Antique Green. Use 3/4” angular to shade bottom area and left side of pear with Plantation Pine. Use 3/8” angular to shade stem indent area as well. Let dry and use dry brush method to highlight pear with Antique Gold Deep. Paint stem using #1 liner and Traditional Burnt Umber tipped in Antique Gold Deep. Use dagger striper to paint leaf Plantation Pine tipped in Antique Gold Deep. Let dry and apply a second stroke using same brush and Antique Gold Deep only, and painting a highlight stroke through middle of leaf. Use stylus to randomly dot Bleached Sand around pear.
- 7. To finish plaques, use stylus to dot Rookwood Red and Antique Green above top swirls and Rookwood Red only under bottom swirls of each plaque. Let dry and apply 2-3 light, even coats of acrylic matte sealer. When dry, use foam brush to evenly apply 2-3 light coats of satin varnish, letting dry between coats. Let cure several days before placing outside.
- 1. Let dry between applications.
by Kim Christmas