Asian Tiles Card
- Cardstock: white; kraft; orange
- Buttons, one each: tortoiseshell; olive; orange
- Recollections Autumn Pearls (Michaels)
- Lost & Found Charms silver butterfly (Blue Moon Beads)
- Stamps (Hero Arts): Butterfly Fern; Decorative Bamboo; Graceful Leaves; Kanji Poem; Blooming Dots; Delicate Leaves; Artistic Butterflies
- Ink pads: Vintage Sepia VersaFine, VersaMark watermark ink (Tsukineko); Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Broken China, Shabby Shutters, Spiced Marmalade, Brushed Corduroy (Ranger)
- Metallic copper embossing powder (JudiKins)
- Watercolor pencils
- Acetate sheets, three
- Small water mister bottle
- Water brush
- Embossing heat tool
- 1. Make top-fold kraft card base. Cut 2-1/2”, 4-1/2” and 5” white cardstock squares. Cut 2-3/4” orange square and 3” kraft square. Set squares aside.
- 2. Dab blue and green Distress Inks randomly over an acetate sheet, keeping colors separate and leaving some open areas. Spritz with water until ink beads up. Place second acetate sheet on top of first and use fingers to gently “walk” ink and water around between layers, leaving some open areas. Peel away top acetate layer and place 2-1/2” and 5” white squares onto wet ink. Place clean acetate sheet over squares.
- 3. Flip acetate/cardstock layers over and move ink around surface once again until pleased with effect. Remove squares from acetate sheets and set aside to dry, placing waterproof weight on top so cardstock dries flat. Let dry completely.
- 4. Stamp Vintage Sepia butterfly/ferns image on 2-1/2” inked square. Color butterfly wings and Asian symbols with blue and orange watercolor pencils. Blend color with water brush; let dry or heat set.
- 5. Mat 2-1/2” stamped panel on orange square. Tie twine three times around layers and through tortoiseshell button at front. Mat on kraft square.
- 6. Adhere 4-1/2” white square to center of card front. Adhere stamped panel to center of card.
- 7. Cut twelve 1” squares from 5” inked square. Using orange and brown Distress Inks, stamp each individual inchie with a variety of images; use photo as guide. Adhere inchies around card edges.
- 8. Ink butterfly charm with watermark ink. Holding charm with tweezers, sprinkle with copper embossing powder and heat set until shiny. Adhere to left side of card near center; accent body with tiny pearls.
- 9. Tie twine through remaining buttons; adhere to two squares. Accent several more squares with pearls of various size.
- 1. To save time, use a craft punch to create inchie squares.
- 2. Not a stamper? Get a similar look using a few sheets of coordinating patterned papers; add stickers or rub-ons to center panel.
- 3. Expand this design to 12”x12” card stock and adjust placement for a gorgeous, framed wall art piece, or create just the center layered panel for a pretty mini card.
by Suzanne Czosek